Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Staffordshire Regiment

Doug Lewis

Enoch / Doug

Can you tell me anything about 7408 Private SE Till, 2/South Staffords?

I am particularly interested to know if he features in a war diary.

Thanks for your trouble in advance

William

Archer

I have no information,Enoch maybe able to help.

Mike

Pte Frederick Rose 45304 MM London Gazette 29/8/18 page 10133.

Regards Doug.

sorry william, no mention of pte till in the index of the war diary of the 2nd, the 2nd doesn't mention other ranks very much. about 90%+ mentioned are officers

enoch

Thank you, gentlemen, both.

I'm surprised Doug came up with nothing. Till was awarded the DCM (London Gazette, 21 June 1916) for

conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. During operations he assisted a wounded officer to cover in a shellhole and dressed his wounds and also those of a private. He erected cover from flanking machine gun fire. When it was dark he went back and guided up a rescue party. He was slightly wounded but remained on duty

Ah well - no reference source is perfect. ;)

Regards

William

doug must be been having a bad day, he is listed in jeff elson's book(page 85)

enoch

William

I do apoligise :P his DCM award is recorded, my excuse is,it was 7.30 am that i was looking through the book and was still asleep. You already have the information that is recorded-the citation and Gazette date.

Regards Doug. :D

No hard feelings :lol:

It's just that we don't want a single Stafford to be deprived of the honour that is his due !

William

(son of an officer in the S. Stafford R.)

Mike

Thanks for the information it is apreciated. I know to six more memorials I need to research so George might be on one of them: I will record him on the roll of honour.

Regards Doug.

Calling Doug,

Hi-Sorry to bother you... you may have seen previous posts...on the offchance you may know anything (Enoch has been absolutely great,and its only because of him I know this much) -any chance you have any idea where the 7th Battalion South Staffs were in Sept 1917?From what I've found out my thinking is at Passchendaele.My great uncles DCM is mentioned in the War diary of the Battalion on 17/9/1917 (thanks Enoch) and I know that was a few days before the battle of the Menin Road Bridge,so I imagine things were pretty fierce (it being the Ypres Salient)-or I could be wrong.

Gt Uncle was Pte Fred Blewitt 12844.

Anything additional would be great,

Many thanks

Laura

laura,sorry its me again!!!!!!

col. w.l.vale history of the south staffordshire regiment

states that 7th south staffs spent september out of the line trying out new methods of attacking pillboxes.

it also states 'attacked enemy trenches by the battalion near poelcappelle from 4th october to 7th in which the objectives were taken and held at a tragic cost of 250 casualties.

enoch

Hi Enoch yes sorry me again too!

That is a bit weird-he must have got it on or prior to 17/9/17 so where was he? I doubt they gave out too many DCMS for mock attacks on mock pillboxes,really,so I'm wondering if it was earlier-? Langemarck or something-but doubtful it would have taken so long to get into the Diaries,do you think?

Hmmm....

Cheers again,Laura

well the paragraph before states the following-

as has been mentioned the bad weather had greatly increased the difficulty of the british advance and this was apparent as early as august 16th when the 11th division moved forward to the attack across the steenbeck river. its objectives were the langemarck and poelcappelle lines about 5 1/2 miles north-east of ypres and the first role of the 7th south staffords was to support the 34th brigade and to assist in repelling enemy counter attacks. they crossed the narrow river and took over from units of the 34th brigade, which had suffered severe losses, and were ordered into a local attack supported by tanks. unfortunately these frightening, but unreliable, vehicles got ditched as they so often did and carter decided to go on without them. the ctual objective was taken with little difficulty and most of the causualties came from the heavy german bombardment which followed. however the staffords held their ground until relieved on the night of the 19th.

i am going to have to get myself a scanner!!!

i think this might be the action your great uncle was awarded his dcm for ?

enoch

Laura

Here is a scan of the information that enoch mentioned,email offline if you want anymore

Regards Doug

post-28-1100783142.jpg

Enoch-thank you!

Only just back after a few days when the flu took over (and husbands flu) so am going to read this very carefully!

I think I should buy the scanner because my Uncle Freds records take up so much of your time!

Cheers and again thanks,Laura

Thanks for the scan Doug!

Speaking as a total novice,it does look like that could have been the engagement I'm looking for if the 7th S Staffs were pretty much out of the line for September '17.Being so new to all this I made the assumption that things would be dated (if not written up) at the time they happened,but daresay that is mistaken.I am in awe of what it must have been like for them.

Many thanks again to you (and Enoch) because I know so much more now.

Am going to our local War Memorial tomorrow(in Beccles, Suffolk) to gather the names to post on here as I would really like to give something back for all this help,

Laura

Hi Enoch,

Having read the details it certainly does look to me like you're right-Langemarck/Poelcappelle-it definitely gives me something to go on!

Cheers,Laura

• 1 month later...

Doug

Is there any mention in your book of Private H.Thacker,240794,1st/6th Battalion,South Staffordshire Reg.

Thanks

Stephen

Stephen

Sorry,there is no mention of your man.

Regards Doug.

Doug,

Following this thread, I had a quick look at your website, very interesting. Slightly off topic, do you happen to have any information on war memorial(s) in Tipton? At least one of my ancestors who survived the War was from that area, just wondered if any of his family might be commemorated in Tipton (but it's a long way from where I live!).

Cheers

Alan

Stephen

Sorry,there is no mention of your man.

Regards Doug.

Doug

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Stephen :D

Edited by STEVEN

Alan

Sorry I have no information for Tipton,I'm only researching Wolverhampton memorials.

Regards Doug.

andrew johnson on the forum is researching 'tipton men' try e.mailing him.

enoch

Enoch,

Sorry to be a pain, but I have searched for "Andrew Johnson" on messages and by members, no luck! Does he have an alternative handle, or could you let him know I'd like to ask him?

Many thanks

Alan