Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Staffordshire Regiment

Doug Lewis

I have just purchased a copy of the book

"Honours & Awards: THE SOUTH STAFFORDSHIRE REGIMENT 1914-1918" by J.C.J. Elson (2003)

An excellent book covering recepients of the following

The Victoria Cross, D.S.O, M.C., D.C.M., M.M, M.S.M, Mentioned in Dispatches and Foreign awards. There is also a small list of Divisional cards recipients.

Willing to do look ups

Regards Doug

Hi Doug,

Any reference to the Motteram bros, Pte.A.W. Motteram (later 2nd Lieutenant) of the 5th S.Staffs or H.V. motteram, 5th S.staffs later MGC?

Regards,

Anthony :D

Anthony

Sorry no mention of Motteram Bros

Regards Doug

• 3 months later...

Hello Doug,

I'd be very grateful if you could check the M.I.D.s for L/Cpl 40905 David Chapman of the 1st Battalion. He received a Divisional Card for bravery in 1918, which I have, but family legend has it that he was also M.I.D.

Many Thanks

Gavin

Doug

Is there any mention in your book for Charles Wells,19043,South Staffordshire Regiment.

I have a photo of him showing medal ribbons on his tunic,i just like to know what if anything he was awarded.

Thanks in Advance

Stephen :)

Tony & Stephen

No mention of your men.

Gavin

No mention of your man either, David Chapman's divisional card is not recorded in the book. The author has requested that if an award is not recorded can he be notified to ammend his master copy,just a thought.

Sorry lads,there are hundreds of men in this book,I'm sure to get a hit soon :D

Regards Doug.

Doug

Thanks anyway for taking the time to look.

Cheers

Stephen :)

Hello Doug,

Many thanks for looking. I had thought that the Divisional Card had probably been confused with a M.I.D. by someone. Does the author give a contact address?

Thanks again

Gavin

hello doug,

a few years back jeff elson did a index of names mentioned in the war diaries of the south staffs. i have a copy so i check the above names and post any information i find

sorry for stepping on yer toes

enoch

information on 2nd lt motteram 1/5 s.staffs

26/27.10.17 joined bn c coy

30.10.17 d coy patrol

11/12.11.17 patrol

21/22.11.17atk german post

28.11.17 telegram 46th div

22.05.18 k by gas shell

taken from index of 1/5 war diary

enoch

Enoch

You are not stepping on my toes we are all here to help each. :D

Regards Doug.

Enoch,

Brilliant!

Thanks for your message which I recieved this morning.That info. really helps me in my research. :D

Anthony

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Doug/Enoch

Please could you do a search on 2nd Lt. J. B. Bushby of 1/5 South Staffs. Reg. He was involved in battle of Bellenglise (September 1918) and there is an outside chance that he was awarded a Div. Card. Any further info. on him from Enoch would be greatly appreciated. P.S. he received fatal wound on 4th october 1918.

Look forward to a reply,

thanks, Steve

Steve

Sorry there is no mention of him in the book.

Regards Doug.

i have checked the index of war diary,the only information i have found is as follows-

busgby 2lt j.b. 31/10/18 w&d diary (wounded and died)

i hope this will be of some help

enoch

• 1 month later...

Cliff

The book does not give the citation but does give the page in the London Gazette.

38968 Pte H. Drabble, 4th Bn South Staffs. LG 27/6/18 Pge7689.

Regards Doug

• 2 months later...

Hi,I'm a new member so please bear with me!

This is the offchance that anyone will know anything about Pte.(later Lance Corporal) Fred Blewitt,my great uncle.He enlisted in Oldbury in the Black Country- I think fairly early in the war (he was well underage) At some point he won the DCM & was MID for going out under fire to bring back a wounded officer-while doing so he was wounded himself.I only suspect that he was in the Staffordshires because apart from being the right sort of area,the only surviving photo of him in uniform had a cap badge with the Mercia knot on-I only saw it briefly,many years ago.

I have scoured the London Gazette archive without success which I suppose should make me suspicious,except for the fact that he was my grandmothers favourite brother and there is NO WAY she would have invented this!It was also confirmed by his daughter....

Any light anyone could throw would be very much appreciated,

Many thanks,Laura

12844 pte f. blewitt (oldbury)london gazette 26/1/18 page 1291-1292

dcm citation

' for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during an attack. he was sent forward with two men to get in touch with a company who's position had become obscure. he proceeded through a heavy barrage to a point where the fire was so intense that he decided to leave the men under cover and go forward alone. he succeeded in getting in touch with the company,but was severely wounded. having obtained all the information he had been ordered to get although suffering severely from his wound, he made his way back to his company commander under heavy shell fire, delivered the message, and then collasped.

his pluck and devotion to duty were magnificent.'

Thank you so much Enoch-I can't believe that after all this time I know what happened.He was about 15 when he joined up and my Nan was so proud of him (after threatening to go to the recruiting office and inform the sergeant of his real age!)

I really appreciate your help,thanks again,Laura