Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Algernon Bird - von Richthofen's 61st opponent

LowNslow

I believe that we have a duty to share information so no thanks required. Actually I was just 15 when he died. He was rather a remote figure: brought up in a Victorian household by a father who was born in 1848, it is unlikely that he himself was shown much affection. No, he certainly never talked about his experiences in the War and I think that part of the reason was that he was not given to self advertisement in any form, whether it be for any action or exploit, or to give voice to any feelings he might be experiencing: probably as a result of the Victorian mores he grew up in. As to his early military career: my impression was that he joined up to get away from his parents; his early spell with the Norfolks found him a mere signalling instructor in a reserve battalion. When the RFC came recruiting, I think he would have been an avid candidate. He was small - about 5'7" I guess. (An advantage I would think for a Sopwith Pup pilot.)

If I can change the subject a bit. There's been a lot of discussion about the possible change in Richthofen's personality after his head wound appearing to affect his cold blooded attitude to his quarries. In my father's case, I think that it might appear thus but, because he was flying the pre production model DR1, F1/102,  he did not want to push an unknown plane of revolutionary design outside a safe operational envelope. Therefore he  did not execute the rapid turns of a Pup and thus could not bring his gun to bear so easily. (As it turns out, he was justified as the DR1 had a nasty habit of its wings falling off.) In addition, maybe the sharp turns would have exacerbated his headaches.

Another change of topic. I've been revisiting the bit in the Fokker Film mentioned at the beginning of this thread, about my father and MvR talking together. I'm pretty sure my father didn't speak any German, and I'd be surprised if MvR spoke any English so how did they converse without any hand movements? My suggestion is that Fokker, who was standing behind MvR out of shot, did speak English (a lot of Dutch did even then) and was translating for both of them. Anyone have any opinions on this?

57 minutes ago, Gorrion said:

I believe that we have a duty to share information so no thanks required. Actually I was just 15 when he died. He was rather a remote figure: brought up in a Victorian household by a father who was born in 1848, it is unlikely that he himself was shown much affection. No, he certainly never talked about his experiences in the War and I think that part of the reason was that he was not given to self advertisement in any form, whether it be for any action or exploit, or to give voice to any feelings he might be experiencing: probably as a result of the Victorian mores he grew up in. As to his early military career: my impression was that he joined up to get away from his parents; his early spell with the Norfolks found him a mere signalling instructor in a reserve battalion. When the RFC came recruiting, I think he would have been an avid candidate. He was small - about 5'7" I guess. (An advantage I would think for a Sopwith Pup pilot.)

If I can change the subject a bit. There's been a lot of discussion about the possible change in Richthofen's personality after his head wound appearing to affect his cold blooded attitude to his quarries. In my father's case, I think that it might appear thus but, because he was flying the pre production model DR1, F1/102,  he did not want to push an unknown plane of revolutionary design outside a safe operational envelope. Therefore he  did not execute the rapid turns of a Pup and thus could not bring his gun to bear so easily. (As it turns out, he was justified as the DR1 had a nasty habit of its wings falling off.) In addition, maybe the sharp turns would have exacerbated his headaches.

Another change of topic. I've been revisiting the bit in the Fokker Film mentioned at the beginning of this thread, about my father and MvR talking together. I'm pretty sure my father didn't speak any German, and I'd be surprised if MvR spoke any English so how did they converse without any hand movements? My suggestion is that Fokker, who was standing behind MvR out of shot, did speak English (a lot of Dutch did even then) and was translating for both of them. Anyone have any opinions on this?

Peter, if you've never seen it before, this may be interesting...from The Lynn Advertiser, Oct 1936...from The British Newspaper Archive.

Snap 2022-11-17 at 18.27.12.png

If it’s of any interest here’s a contemporary newspaper report that is not currently available online.

Norwich Mercury, Saturday, September 29, 1917.

LIEUT A.F. BIRD MISSING

Mr. and Mrs. F.A. Bird, of St. Augustine’s, Chapel Street, Lynn, have been officially informed that their son, Lieut. Algernon Fredk. Bird, of the Norfolk Regiment, attached to the R.F.C., has been missing since 3rd September. It is presumed that he was shot down while flying over the enemy’s lines in France during a battle. He is 21 years of age, and was educated at Hunstanton, Lowestoft and Felstead, (Essex), and previous to enlisting was training as an engineer at the City and Guilds College, London.

Cheers,
Peter

I'm very grateful to Sadbrewer and PRC for their contributions to my father's biography. I was not aware that Algy had had some schooling in Lowestoft. Lowestoft? What was he doing in Lowestoft? The LN&A had a similar report of which I have a faded brown clipping about his going missing. The report of his wedding is new to me. I didn't realise they'd honeymooned on the Continent.

Work to be done by me to fill in a few more dots in the timeline of his life, possible now thanks to both your contributions.

From the International Red Cross in Geneva I have copies of his file cards; I also have copies of the Gefangenenliste for Karlsrühe for 7th Sept 1917, and the prisoner roll for Holtzminden for 11th Dec 1917 where he was incarcerated. It's quite amazing what's on the internet if you strike lucky. If anyone is interested I could post these.

25 minutes ago, Gorrion said:

I'm very grateful to Sadbrewer and PRC for their contributions to my father's biography. I was not aware that Algy had had some schooling in Lowestoft. Lowestoft? What was he doing in Lowestoft? The LN&A had a similar report of which I have a faded brown clipping about his going missing. The report of his wedding is new to me. I didn't realise they'd honeymooned on the Continent.

Work to be done by me to fill in a few more dots in the timeline of his life, possible now thanks to both your contributions.

From the International Red Cross in Geneva I have copies of his file cards; I also have copies of the Gefangenenliste for Karlsrühe for 7th Sept 1917, and the prisoner roll for Holtzminden for 11th Dec 1917 where he was incarcerated. It's quite amazing what's on the internet if you strike lucky. If anyone is interested I could post these.

Peter there is quite a bit of info about Algernon and Aubrey in the old papers... they had a few minor brushes with officialdom and the law... its not really for this forum but if you're interested PM me and I'll have a further look. 

BTW Aubrey was in the Army during WW1, in late 1918 he joined the Suffolk Regiment and was attached to the RE, he wasn't sent abroad at that late stage though. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would imagine an officer cadet like Richthofen would have to know a bit of a foreign language .French if not English.Perhaps he had a smattering of English.?

Just this past Wednesday l was in Downham Market and saw the old Birds flour mill down by the river.The family home is now the Conservative club.The local Wetherspoons  "The Whalebone " , has a big information panel on the local boy shot down by the Red Baron.Its accurate but it includes a vivid colour painting of a red triplane chasing a SOPWITH CAMEL , not a PUP. That apart it's good to see Lt Bird receiving some recognition in his home town. I raised a glass to Algy.