Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dundee Absent Voters List.

dundeesown

Eveanne,

Thanks very much for the information. Hopefully this will help me confirm some details about Tom Wilkie's Father.

Thanks Again

regards

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Hi going back to the City Archives on Tuesday 7th Oct,anyone Looking for Dundee Soldiers post name and address and I`ll see if I can find them for you , have got the O.K. to get pics of the A.V.L.If I can help just add post.

all the best fae Dundee ;)

Gary, what Great War date/year do they cover?

Neil

Hi Gary,

Any information on men by the name of Smart and Robertson from Glamis woulod be much appreciated if this includes them. If not I would very very interested to find if there is an AVL for this area.

Rgds

Tim

Gary, what Great War date/year do they cover?

Neil

Hi Neil I`m not sure if it was 18 or 19,but I aim to get pictures of every thing they have and when I get every thing together will give all the Tay Val.pals a copy,but will take time.

Tim will Look out for your names of Smart & Robertson but plan to get all the pics first and then trawl through them.all the best fae dundee.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Gary,

Could you please look up the following on your next trip, if you have time. They are all from Strathmartine, and the address is possibly Baldovan, Mains & Strathmartine. They are:- William Doig, Donald Doig, Richard Doig & Archibald Doig.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Alf the only Donald Doig from the area on the A.V.L= Donald Doig Baldovan Road Burnside Cottage , no reg or Nos.

Gary f.

Thanks a lot Gary.

Tim

Hi Tim the only two smarts I can see in this Ward are John Smart 33455 Royal Scots and William Smart 24133 Seaforths the two lads lived at No 2 Dudhope Crescent Dundee. but I think there are 12 or so Wards for the Dundee area ?

Thanks a lot Gary. Not mine. Very much appreciated.

Rgds

Tim

In Dundee City at this time there were seven districts, Dundee, St Andrews, St Peters, St Clements, St Mary, Broughty Ferry and Lochee. dudhope Cres would have been in the Dundee districts.

Looking at Tim's requirement from Glamis this would definitely not be covered by Dundee. This would have been covered by the Angus records.

regards

Ian

Hi tim,

I think we have had a wee discussion some place else on the forum regarding the Robertsons of Glamis. I was looking at your signature and saw that you had a Sylvester Robertson listed. I have to tell you that although his surname is very common to the area his Christian name is not. I did a search on Scotlands people for the latest census available on line (1901) and it came up with one hit. Having some points left in my account I thought I'd have a look at the page. It came up with the following information, which of course you may already have;

Address 91 Plans of Thornton, Glamis

Alexander Robertson, Head of House, Widower, age 48 profession Wood Carter, Born in Errol Perthshire.

Agnes Robertson, Daughter, Housekeeper (Domestic) age 17, Born Glamis Forfarshire (now Angus)

James Robertson, Son, Scholar, age 13 Born in Glamis

Annie Robertson, Daughter, age 11, born in Glamis

Alexander Robertson, Son, Scholar, age 9, born in Glamis,

Jane Robertson, Daughter, Scholar, age 7, born in Glamis,

Sylvester Robertson, Son, Scholar, age 5, born in Glamis

is this the family you are after?

regards

Ian

Edit to say that there were 45 other Robertsons in the area at the time, 18 male and 27 female. The difference in the numbers between male and female may be down to the fact that this is a rural community and some of the men would be farm labourers and ploughmen. They would live on the estates, especially if they were single, where they were working which could be out of the area. Of the 45 people 20 were living in Glamis, 22 were living in Newtyle and 3 were living in Essie and Neway. Of the men outside of Sylvester's family 10 were between the ages of 1 and 40 in 1901 which I have taken as the outer limits for any involvement in WW1

Hi Alf the only Donald Doig from the area on the A.V.L= Donald Doig Baldovan Road Burnside Cottage , no reg or Nos.

Gary f.

Gary,

Donald Doig is my Grandmother's brother. He was living at Burnside Cottage in 1923, when he got married. Many thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

Alf

Gary,

Donald Doig is my Grandmother's brother. He was living at Burnside Cottage in 1923, when he got married. Many thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

Alf

Hi Alf

I had a look at the A.V.L. for Mains And Strathmartine and no Doigs on it they must have moved into Dundee I`ll see if they are on the copy I have for ward 6 of Dundee and the Monifieth Parish all the best Fae Dundee

Gary.F.

Thanks a lot Ian,

Yes this is my mob. Agnes was my Great Grandmother and married John Cameron Smart, also of Glamis. They emigrated to Australia in 1912. Two of his brothers were the Alexander Smart and George Smart outlined in my signature. I have also posted a photo of Sylvester Robertson (outlined in my signature) and his other sister Annie on the forum before.

I am very interested in finding out if any of the other Robertson or Smart brothers served. As far as the Robertson's go I have:

William born 1880

Robert born 1882 (information from family in Scotland is that he may have emigrated to Canada and died there in 1914).

James born 1887

Alexander born 1891

I also have David Smart (my Great Grandfathers other brother) born 1877 who may have served (father was David Strachan Smart).

Would anyone have access to the Angus AVL?

Rgds

Tim

Hi tim

I have e-mailed Aberdeen and Forfar ( Angus )Archives to see if they have A.V.Ls but so far only Aberdeen have got back to me saying they don`t have them, but I find it hard to believe that if Dundee has them that no other City or Town in Scotland has them I just think they don`t know what I am talking about,but I will mail every Archive centre in Scotland one of them must have A.V.Ls.

all the best Gary.

Thanks a lot Gary,

Your a champion.

Rgds

Tim

• 3 years later...

Hi Gary,

I have got around to looking at this side of the family again. Any news on an AVL for Angus?

Rgds

Tim D

Thanks mate.

Rgds

Tim