Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dundee Absent Voters List.

dundeesown

Hi I`m going to Look at the Dundee absent voters List on Monday 18/08/08,if anyone is Looking for info on any Dundee men drop me a line and I`ll see if I can find out anything for you,(it`s my 1st time at the Dundee archives so may draw a blank)send as much information as you can i.e Last known address,

all the best fae gary. :rolleyes:

Gary,

Thanks for the offer, but I've plenty to be getting on with at the moment. It is also worth checking with the Dundee central library for the Absent Voters list, it is worth giving them a bell.

Aye

Tom McC

I'd like to take up your generous offer. Please look up for me all men with the surname McMurchie. There shouldn't be many of them.

Regards,

Alf

Hi I`m going to Look at the Dundee absent voters List on Monday 18/08/08

Hi Gary,

I'll be very interested to hear how you get on. As yet, I haven't heard of any confirmed archive/library holding of AVLs for Scotland.

Stuart

Hi Lads,Alf not a problem I will have a Look for any McMurchie soldiers from Dundee and will post to let you know how I got on stuart.I have been to the DCL a few times and they don`t know what I`m talking about (mind you neither does the wife most o the time ),so Phnd the Archives and they said they have it ,so I`ll give it a go.

All the best fae gary. ;)

Hello Gary,

I would be most grateful if you could please help with any information regarding Pte Andrew Mitchell Mackie, 1/3 Highland Field Ambulance who was awarded the Military Medal (London Gazette 23 July, 1919). Pte Mackie is shown as living in Dundee. If you have time and access to the Local Newspapers for Dundee I would be most grateful for a look up to see if there is any mention of the award of his MM. Many thanks.

Regards

Ron

Hello Gary,

I would be most grateful if you could please help with any information regarding Pte Andrew Mitchell Mackie, 1/3 Highland Field Ambulance who was awarded the Military Medal (London Gazette 23 July, 1919). Pte Mackie is shown as living in Dundee. If you have time and access to the Local Newspapers for Dundee I would be most grateful for a look up to see if there is any mention of the award of his MM. Many thanks.

Regards

Ron

I`ll see what I can turn up Ron.

I do not research soldiers so I am just being nosy. There is a suggestion elsewhere on the forum that there is no way to access AVLs in Scotland. Is that true?

I do not research soldiers so I am just being nosy. There is a suggestion elsewhere on the forum that there is no way to access AVLs in Scotland. Is that true?

I was under that impression as well,but as I say I have been to the main Dundee library they don`t have it and have never heard of it ,but after a phone call to the Dundee City Council Archives they say they have one,so I can only go down and have a Look if they don`t have the List no harm done,they are sure to have other very interesting information on the B/W,I can only go and have a Look and if Dundee has one I think we can bet Aberdeen Edinburgh and Glasgow will have them and may open up a new avenue for research in Scotland?

All the best and I live in hope fae Gary.

So it could be that in England they are in National Archives but in Scotland are held locally. Sounds possible. Good luck Gary.

Where they are known to have survived in England, they are held locally. For Scotland, I haven't found any documented evidence of their existence. Another forum pal has mentioned in an old thread that the names of absent soldiers are listed on the full electoral register for Edinburgh but unlike the AVLs, no service details are given. A recent thread has found the same situation for Roxburghshire. I have enquired at the National Library for Scotland which holds many of the old electoral registers, but it does not have any AVLs.

Saying that, I hope Gary's search bucks the trend and turns up trumps. Good luck!

Stuart

HI Stuart

Consider the trend bucked Dundee City Archives do have the Absent Voters Lists.

Just been Looking at them and would you believe it ~~~**** I`m looking for my Grandads Reg. and No and it shows not Known, to say I`m a bit miffed is an understatement and I couldn`t find my other Grandad either I must have wrong addresses ***

But on another note this is for Ivor. Some Dundee Lads in the Labour Corps

James Connelly-37 Ann Street 313256 Pte 374th Lab Comp

Robert Knight-13 Arthur Street 480052 Pte 135th Lab Comp

William Isles 23 Charles Street 114763 Pte 192nd Coy Lab Corp

John Mclelland 31 Constitution Rd. 6298 Pte 125th Lab Coy Lab Corps

William Millar 7 Dallfield Walk 8632 Pte 15th Lab Coy Lab Corps

John Mcguggan 7Dallfield Walk 622484 Pte 806th A.E.Coy Lab Corps-( same close )

Alexander Mcdonald 57 Hilltown 115516 Pte 193rd Lab Corps

Oakley J. Gilbert 30745 Pte 182nd Lab Coy 1st Batt 17th Sect Lab Corps

James Paton 7 Crescent Street 5055 Pte 9th Lab Coy.Lab.Corps

Andrew Hood Paton 9 7 Crescent Street 149133 Pte 373 H.S.Lab Coy Lab Corps

Thomas Blyth 15 Shepherds Loan 223738 Pte 39th Div Salvage Coy Lab Comp

(far to many men from dundee to list )

The next Lad is for Ivor and Alf

James M`Murchie 67 Alexander Street 375354 Pte 727th Lab. Coy Lab Corps

I`m sorry I couldn`t find Thomas Doig or info on Andrew Mitchell Mackie but I think I was Looking for too many men with not enough time

But I will be back after my Holiday ( going on the 21st) so post anything you are looking for and I`ll see if I can get the info.But an address is a must to nail your man down

the next time I go I will phn them so as they can have all the info ready for me (they say it`s no prob )

They have AVL for Mains and Strathmartine + Monifieth + Broughty Ferry.

All the Best Fae Gary ;)

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the PM. Fantastic news! Your positive result will certainly make me have another go searching for AVLs for south-west Scotland. Perhaps I need to go the Council offices route rather than library/town archives.

Again, well done!

Stuart

Gary

You are a star - I did not expect you to actually list LC men.

It looks as if I need to take a trip south to Dundee at some time - if only work did not get in the way of what I really want to do!

The next few months will be taken up finishing off my book - the publishers deadline is the end of March! So it looks like a task for next Spring.

Anyway many thanks

Ivor

Gary

You are a star - I did not expect you to actually list LC men.

It looks as if I need to take a trip south to Dundee at some time - if only work did not get in the way of what I really want to do!

The next few months will be taken up finishing off my book - the publishers deadline is the end of March! So it looks like a task for next Spring.

Anyway many thanks

Ivor

Hi Ivor

If it`s hard for you to get down to Dundee, when I get back from Holiday 8th Sept.If it helps you I`ll book anotherday at the Archives and list every man I can find in the L.C. if it helps you because now I know it`s there I`ll be in the Archives a lot.P.S If you are going you have to phone them 1st to let them know when you plan to go . ( It`s By appointment only )phn-01382 434494

All the best fae Gary.

Thanks for looking Gary, if you do happen to go again I'd appreciate you keeping a lookout for any mention of Andrew Mitchell Mackie. Thanks.

Regards,

Ron

Hello Gary,

Could you please look up the following on your next trip, if you have time. They are all from Strathmartine, and the address is possibly Baldovan, Mains & Strathmartine. They are:- William Doig, Donald Doig, Richard Doig & Archibald Doig.

Regards,

Alf McM

I fear these people were not in Dundee then. I am almost certain they would be in Forfarshire. County town, Forfar. Where the archives would be, I have no idea.

Hi

There is an archive at a place called Restenneth, quite near Forfar. Don't know if it has the Absent Voter's List, but the staff are very helpful.

Hi Eveanne,

Welcome to the Forum. not trying to be smart but is this Restenneth by Kirriemuir? What sort of information is kept in these Archives? I am trying to research some Family that came from the Forfar/ Kirrie area.

regards

Ian

Hi Ian

It is situated in the grounds of the old Restenneth Priory. It is about 2 miles east of Forfar on the B9113. It is best to phone them to see if they have the information you want. They have Year Books and Directories for the various villages and towns in the Angus area. They might also have Parish Records, etc. As mentioned, they prefer you to phone in advance, rather than make a journey for nothing. Might be worthwhile making that call. Their number is 01307 468644.

Eveanne