Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

researching a medal awarded.

harrison919

I recently found out from posting a simple pic on this forum asking for a unit id that my great grandfather won the DCM. I am now trying to find out how he won it as the family thought he was Ireland during the war at the Curragh camp. this information has motivated several relatives and we have managed to find the medal horded away in an old tin in my nans loft. My only guess is he possible won it during the easter monday uprising as i know he was there in 1916. Is there any way of finding out from the medal card or records that survive when the medal was awarded.

link to the original thread http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=102262

heres hoping

He wouldn't have got the DCM, or his other medals for being in Ireland. Ireland was not considered 'overseas' and certainly not a "theatre of war".

The medal was officially awarded when it was promulgated in the London Gazette - 1st October, 1918.

The action that lead to the award was probably around June/July 1918, but that is an estimate based upon the average time for an award to appear in the London Gazette.

Ken

There are lists on Microfilm at the National Archives that give the date and place of awards of the DCM (bascally copies of the London Gazette pages with annotations). These are labelled as Series WO391.

Subseries within WO 391 AWARDS ANNOUNCED

WO 391/2 26 Oct 1914-3 July 1915 1914-1915

WO 391/3 5 Aug 1915-11 Mar 1916 1915-1916

WO 391/4 22 Jan 1916-26 Sept 1916 1916

WO 391/5 20 Oct 1916-25 Aug 1917 1916-1917

WO 391/6 29 Aug 1917-3 Oct 1918 1917-1918

WO 391/7 21 Oct 1918-11 May 1920 1918-1920

Steve.

thanks for the advice

i am thinking of getting a researcher at kew to do it for me as there is no chance of myself or a family member attending anytime soon. with the failing health of my nan it needs to be done quicker rather than later as she wants to know now her interest has been pricked.

dont know what the rules are on asking advice on reaearchers at kew, dont want specific people just looking for the dos and donts when using this kind of service. any helpful advice would be most welcome. cheers (and if this does break the forum rules excuse my ignorance and except my apologies)

, dont want specific people just looking for the dos and donts when using this kind of service.

Look for someone with specific experience in researching soldiers at the NA, rather than a general researcher. Make sure they are clear about what they intend to do and what they are going to charge you - and be sure that you understand this and are happy with it. And , as with anything else, remember that if the price sounds too cheap, the service is likely to be in line with that.

John

He wouldn't have got the DCM,

Gallantry Awards were made for the Easter Rising,however the Gazette date of 3rd October 1918 suggests otherwise..DCM Citation Bradley

MiC Slip for award of his DCM[No theatre given in Gazette]:~

They are few and far between... ;)