Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Minden PoW camp (photograph)

TheMixMonkey

Bob,

The Red Cross do not seen to be quoting from files on PoWs but solely looking up on the lists so they may not have told you everything they have. TNA have a series of PoW death certificates (apparently mainly in French) which may be worth checking. PoWs dying in transit could still be buried in local cemeteries. There are some at Tingleff from the camp there and I just checked on Albert Gilbert, mentioned by Talbot Baines Bruce in his book "Missing" as having died in transit at Verviers. He is listed by the CWGC as still buried in Verviers cemetery.

Doug

Doug

This is what i recieved yesterday, i would be intrested to know what other PALS recieved from Geneva in comparison.

Best Regards

Bob

post-21863-1227616525.jpg

• 5 years later...
Guest rgoutal

This is my first post... and on a very old thread.

I was examining an old post card sent to my aunt when she was 18 years old living in Paris. When I realized it was from a POW camp, I searched on the topic which led to this site and this thread. I read through most all of the posts. After a while I began to wonder if the camp I was looking for was different than most of the posts were describing; that is, could there be two Mindens? Not just Minden I and Minden II in the sense described by various contributors. For example, could there be a Minden camp near the town of Minden close to Luxembourg. The full name of the camp is "Kriegsgefangenenlager Minden i. W." I wondered if the "i. W." inferred a differenent location.

Long story short, I'm back to assuming that this camp is the one described in this thread, near to the current Minden, Germany (between Münster and Hanover).

I don't know when Lucien Goutal (1C1R) entered the camp. What is interesting is that he is writing in October 1918 and saying that he just got her letter of June 18. I will bet she got his post card after the Armistice at that rate!

For interest here is the pre-printed card:

post-110444-0-54196900-1400193773_thumb.

• 2 years later...
Guest Rachelba

I have just discovered this forum and would like to ask anyone if they know if this PoW camp in Minden is the same as the camp in WWII? My Italian grandfather was sent to this camp. I do not know his full name and never met him, I do not even know if the Italians were allies at this point. I would like to find his surname and discover more about this side of my family/ myself but do not know where to begin. My German grandmother lived in Minden in the second war and is 90 on Friday. She has told me as much as she can remember but I don't have much to go on. Any help greatly appreciated 

• 1 year later...

Dear Members

I am looking for a soldier named William Horwood Howell Lewis of the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry who was in Minden Prison Camp in 1918 as an wounded 18 year old soldier. He was from Swansea and his Regimental number was 21992. Can anyone supply me with any information please? He was wounded and captured in March 1918

Thank you

John White

Hi guest,

the abbreviation "W" stands for "Westphalen" which today is NRW=North-Rhine-Westphalia. So it´s Minden in Westphalen.

Best,

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

8 hours ago, john white said:

Dear Members

I am looking for a soldier named William Horwood Howell Lewis of the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry who was in Minden Prison Camp in 1918 as an wounded 18 year old soldier. He was from Swansea and his Regimental number was 21992. Can anyone supply me with any information please? He was wounded and captured in March 1918

Thank you

John White

He has three index cards in the ICRC database.

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Search#/3/2/224/0/British and Commonwealth/Military/Lewis

he was wounded in the right upper arm on 27.03.1918 near Fontaine while serving with 7/KSLI. He was interned in Switzerland on 30.08.1918.

Charlie

Dear Members

Thank you

John White

21 hours ago, john white said:

William Horwood Howell Lewis

John, you seem to have a certain amount of detail already. His wounding is probably what lead to him being transferred to Switzerland.

Have you read all the ICRC cards for him and their backing sheets ?

ICRC References
Lewis William Gem  7 KSLI  Konstanz    PA 39957
Lewis W-H  Pte 21992  7 Shrposhire LI (taken) 27/3/18, Interne 30/8/18  B/56111  PA23758
Lewis William  Pte 7 KCLJ Venant de Minden, Int 30/8/18 Chat d'Oex    R 51565

Charlie

I've crossed this out because I see Charlie2 has already given the same info to your previous post above !

Edited by charlie962

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning everyone. The William Horwood Howell Lewis that John White refers to, above, was my father's father, and I have a hazy memory of him as a lovely, gentle man. He died in 1975, when I was eight. I thought the contributors to this thread would be interested to read some correspondence between William and his mother in Mumbles, Swansea. My great grandmother's reference to the "dear boy who writes" for my grandfather relates to the fact that William was shot in the hand and forearm - presumably his writing hand. 

All best, Mark 

Minden POW camp, 17 June 1918

Dear mother, I take pleasure in letting you know that I am keeping alright and hoping that you, Billy and Bessie are keeping the same. I am pleased to let you know that within a fortnight I shall be able to write my own letters ... I have had some bread parcels from Holland so you see that I am well supplied. Well mother I got the cigs, chocs and the malted milk in one of the parcels that you sent, and I thank you for them. I came across yesterday a man from Swansea. I knew him very well. His name is Smith and he lives in 4 Matthew Street just above High St station. I would like you to call and see his people. He is stopping in the next hut to me. We have had two or three long talks together. I think that you will know him, he used to take meal to cousin Johnny ... Well mother, I will conclude with best of love to you, Billy and Bessie, so I remain your loving son Horwood. Xxx

John Street, Mumbles, South Wales, 9 July 1918

My dearest boy, I am sending the parcel to you today with much pleasure. I hope that it will not be very long before you receive it, so expect it any time after the second week in August. The things which I have put in for you, are the things allowed by the War Office to be sent. I am afraid that the boot laces are not very strong, but they are the only kind which may be sent; so be thankful for I am perfectly delighted to be able to send to you at all ... in the next one I will send you a game of Draughts also a muffler and mittens ... I am sure you will be very sorry to hear that Fred Morris and your chum Harold Williams are missing and Jim Brown died on the 28th of June. Syd Bennett is wounded, but where he is I do not know, I don’t think his people know exactly what part of the world he is in at the present time. Mr Wilmot went a week ago, Mrs W is feeling it very much. Harry Bennett and Llewellyn Griffiths were both quite well last week when their people heard from them. Well my son I hope that you are quite well by now. Please give my love to the dear boy who writes for you that is if you are still in the same camp. Well dear Horwood I must finish now and may God bless you my precious son.

Love from Bessie & Billie, your loving mother xxx