Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Last Post ceremony

Matt Dixon

A ceremony recognized internationally,where Kings,Presidents,diplomats,ordinary people,school children,stand to gether in silence ,where a humble postman who was a private soldier in the british army is remembered, whilst his grandson and his wife look on,is a legacey and obligation to us all,to ensure it continues

If I remember rightly, it was discovered a few years ago that the buglers were still using the bugles they were given in the 1920s when it all began. Understandably they were rather tatty.

Either the British legion or the Western front Association gave them new bugles. As I understand it there is no other funding as the men are volunteers and the only other 'cost' is the policeman who stops the traffic.

I think it was the British Legion which gave them new silver bugles. I Highly recommend Menin Gate & Last Post by Dominiek Dendooven who gave a fine talk to our US WFA group in Ieper last year.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I know the last post assotiation is an independant belgium instituut.

Which is formed out of volunteers of the fire brigade.

There aim's are to remember en respect at the Menin gate for what this momument stands for and means to so many.

Also to respect the Belgium soldiers and civillians who were affected by this great event.

It's funded by gifts and donations.

I don't think the townhall has a great say in the matter, whether it carries on or not. They would be foolish to do so, because it mean's so much to so many.

If all the people would stop coming to Yper, it would deffinately mean a big loss for the local economie. But no reason to stop the ceremonie.

With friendly greatings frans

A work colleague's son is visiting the salient next week on a school trip, which will include the ceremony.

Personally, I think it is a good thing that the ceremony is well attended, particularly by young people. They can be noisy and may not be too up on the etiquette, but I have never seen any deliberate disrespect.

Must agree with the above comments, I was at the ceremony three times last week and there seemed to be quite a few school parties present yet the behaviour was fine.

Bob.