Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Use of satnavs with camera warnings

richardIII

Here in Swindon, the police wouldn't share the revenue made from the speed cameras with the council, so the council took all the cameras down.

If they were there purely as a safety device, why not share the revenue ?

Because they are a nice little earner for the plod

Traffic accidents havn't risen noticably since their departure

Grant

Here in Swindon, the police wouldn't share the revenue made from the speed cameras with the council, so the council took all the cameras down.

Because they are a nice little earner for the plod

Traffic accidents havn't risen noticably since their departure

Grant

Still got your roundabouts, then? :)

cheers Martin B

Still got your roundabouts, then? :)

Oooh yes, and their busy having baby ones :angry2:

No , if you know were they are you tend to speed where you know they are not - pretty obvious if you think about it.  

They are everywhere. More than tnere are CCTV in Britain. And the speed limits are adjusted to make sure that you don't see the signs, and they are utterly ridiculous in places i.e. around Metz there is a stretch of several kilometres with a limit of 90 km. Why? Well, there are five speed cameras on the stretch.

Amazingly, perhaps, when the speed limit goes up to 130 after Nancy, the cameras disappear.

They want the money. You are talking about several million flashed per year. Multiply that by 50€.....

I have held my UK driving licence,for over 40 years,and so far have not acquired any "penalty points".

Thanks, to the Forum's alert,I've worked out how to turn the obsolete Sat Nav's warning of Speed Cameras ahead off.

So I now know I can "drive" in France as a Brit,in June, being "pulled over",for inspection and given the "all clear".

I confess to the occasional lapses,in my rights and lefts,whilst driving on the Continent but I can accept my errors because I will not get behind, the wheel,until the alcohol has escaped from my body,a moot point :D ,or I have had none,for at least 24 hours.

Do the June 2012 French driving Laws,require a car,to carry intact alcohol driver's readers or used ones?

George

Because current law does not permit it.

They are everywhere. More than tnere are CCTV in Britain. And the speed limits are adjusted to make sure that you don't see the signs, and they are utterly ridiculous in places i.e. around Metz there is a stretch of several kilometres with a limit of 90 km. Why? Well, there are five speed cameras on the stretch.

Amazingly, perhaps, when the speed limit goes up to 130 after Nancy, the cameras disappear.

They want the money. You are talking about several million flashed per year. Multiply that by 50€.....

Please try and be rational about this. There are currently around 3,500 fixed speed cameras in the whole of the UK. A recent police report revealed 12,333 cctv cameras in the county of Cheshire alone - goodness knows how many in the country as a whole but many orders of magnitude more than speed cameras. Has it occurred to you that the reason why there are five speed camera in the stretch near Metz is to enforce the 90 km limit not vice vera - simples.. And don't mix UK with France please it makes for an incoherent argument.

My figure for the UK are based on those collected by a firm that sells radar trap detectors (who have an interest in exaggerating so the figures might be lower) and the Cheshire Constabulary who recently mapped all the CCTV cameras in their patch.

In the UK safety cameras are placed in locations where there is a high level of speeding and at collision hot-spots. Cameras are usually yellow so drivers can see them in advance and slow down. The risk of accidents is cut and the section of road is safer. Pretty obvious if you think about it.

Gwyn

France is not the UK. The French cameras are often hidden behind trees, road signage and are not painted yellow. In fact just as are those sited to where I live in Belgium. You have it easy in the UK! :thumbsup:

France is not the UK. The French cameras are often hidden behind trees, road signage and are not painted yellow. In fact just as are those sited to where I live in Belgium. You have it easy in the UK! :thumbsup:

And if you don't speed they won't catch you!

Please try and be rational about this. There are currently around 3,500 fixed speed cameras in the whole of the UK. A recent police report revealed 12,333 cctv cameras in the county of Cheshire alone - goodness knows how many in the country as a whole but many orders of magnitude more than speed cameras. Has it occurred to you that the reason why there are five speed camera in the stretch near Metz is to enforce the 90 km limit not vice vera - simples.. And don't mix UK with France please it makes for an incoherent argument.

My figure for the UK are based on those collected by a firm that sells radar trap detectors (who have an interest in exaggerating so the figures might be lower) and the Cheshire Constabulary who recently mapped all the CCTV cameras in their patch.

Cent,

I was taught to drive? and passed my Test,on the second attempt,in the City of Manchester.

I'm not sure whether my being taught to drive,in a City many years ago,prepared me for driving on Motorways,or Cheshire Country roads,suffice to say I've not been caught out,yet.

I can transfer my Brit driving experience, in a Brit car, to driving, on the Continent,hence my trouble with my rights and lefts.

But if French driving Law,requires certain requirements,it is not, for me, as a visitor,to question them but more reasonably comply with them and even "bring back a driving Law" that should be introduced,enforced,etc in UK.

George

if French driving Law,requires certain requirements,it is not, for me, as a visitor,to question them but more reasonably comply with them

Couldn't agree more!

Doug

But if French driving Law,requires certain requirements,it is not, for me, as a visitor,to question them but more reasonably comply with them and even "bring back a driving Law" that should be introduced,enforced,etc in UK.

George

Which is the point I made many posts ago in this thread.

The French will rightly make whatever laws they see fit to make in their own country, whether we think that they are founded in common sense or not.glare.gif

Residents and visitors alike will have to abide by those laws or face the consequences, "if you cant do the time don't do the crime" hypocrite.gif

I cant afford to do the crime and receive a E1500 fine so I think that I will update the "sat nav lady" and buy a breathalyser kit.

The great thing about this thread and this forum is that it has brought this to my attention, I would most likely have headed off to France oblivious to these new laws and learned the hard way.wub.gif

Cent,

I was taught to drive? and passed my Test,on the second attempt,in the City of Manchester.

I'm not sure whether my being taught to drive,in a City many years ago,prepared me for driving on Motorways,or Cheshire Country roads,suffice to say I've not been caught out,yet.

I can transfer my Brit driving experience, in a Brit car, to driving, on the Continent,hence my trouble with my rights and lefts.

George

I was taught while in the army in London 30 years ago, 4.30 in the afternoon, didn't get out of 3rd gear, certainly didn't get up to 30mph and followed a bus nearly the whole test route. That prepared me for driving in London, not much else.

Because current law does not permit it.

But it did when the council asked, law only changed 2010

Funny enough, the speed limit around Metz dropped to 90kph when they installed the cameras. Much the same everywhere.

The French TV did an investigation not long ago. So far there have been 6 million plus, plus tickets handed out due to the cameras. At an average 50€ each (minimum charge). Nice earner.

Just to show how coherent it all this they found one road where driving north to south the speed limit was 90kph, whilst driving south north it is 70kph. Guess which way the camera faces.

When I drive down to Verdun there is one place where, for no reason at all, the limit drops from 90kph to 70 kph for 500 metres, and then goes back up. Naturally, the spot has to have a camera.

Oh, and don't forget that to back it up, the tolerance is just 3 kph. Not 10% as all the British seem to imagine (it used to be 6 kph, but what with revenue needed and all the cameras to pay for).

I drive in France continually, and if there is another revolution it may well be to put all the cameras on a bonfire.

We have all been told about this 10%, but is it always the case or discretionary? I attended a speed awareness course last year and one person had their summons for 64 mph in a 60 mph average speed area and another for 32 mph in a 30 mph limit. There were also police officers attending for speeding while on duty but it wasn't clear whether they had been done for it or just had to attend the course. Any police pals who can tell us?

Accepting that the new,or shortly to be introduced,French driving Law,requires me to carry an alcohol breath testing kit which complies with French Regulations.

Can the Forum please advise where I should purchase one i.e.at Home(Halfords),on the Ferry(P&O),or, accepting I will not have one when I immediately drive from Calais, at a French petrol filling station,etc?

George

You can get them off amazon or ebay. Try Breath Alcohol Tester

Ac,

Buying from the Internet,is beyond my ken,despite additions to Forum funding. :D

All I wish to do, is comply with French driving Law when visiting that Country in June.

So should I spend a few pounds, in Halfords,the Ferry,before I arrive in France.

Or risk being "pulled over" before I've bought the kit,in Euros,at a French petrol filling station?

George

Ac,

Buying from the Internet,is beyond my ken,despite additions to Forum funding. :D

All I wish to do, is comply with French driving Law when visiting that Country in June.

So should I spend a few pounds, in Halfords,the Ferry,before I arrive in France.

Or risk being "pulled over" before I've bought the kit,in Euros,at a French petrol filling station?

George

George,

Wherever you find the thing, ensure that it is for the French breath-alcohol limit, which is almost 50% lower than in the UK.

Simon.

The multi use one I purchased from the Total garage in Ackworth is callibrated to the French limit of 0.05%, the UK limit is 0.08. was £4.99.

Out of curiosity I thought I'd try the Garmin instructions on my Nuvi 765. I can go to Tools, Settings and that's it , no Proximity Alert option on mine.

Next time I'm in France I'll ask a Gendarme to deactivate it.Mmm...........................