Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Lorraine King, MC DCM

corisande

My next man on the list of those who escaped death on the morning of 21 Nov 1920 from the IRA hit squads in William Lorraine King. I have a lot on his life, but there are a number of holes that perhaps someone can help me with. A web page of what I have is available here

1. 1884 William Lorraine King b.Kensington, London
  2. 1891 census, the family is living at 9 Osten Mews Kensington. His father is listed as a coachman
  3. 1901 census living at 9 Queensberry "M E", Brompton, Kensington with mother and father. He is an apprentice carpenter
  4. Married Isabella Olivia Alexander (who died in Dublin in 1917) - I suspect abroad.
  5. 1908 child born Eileen Marion King
  6. 1911 census, he does not appear, I suspect abroad.
  7. 1916 Jun 21 2nd Bn. South African Infantry. No. 3782 Co, Serjt.-Maj. W. L. King. Mentioned in Dispatches
  8. 1916 Sep 22. 3782 Actg. CSM. W. L. King, South African Infantry. For conspicuous gallantry in action.
  9. 1917 Jul/Sep his wife dies in Dublin aged 38
  10. 1917 Nov 23. Lt. William Lorraine King, Inf. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty.
  11. 1918 Jun 30 The undermentioned temp. Lt. to be actg. Capt. : W. L. King, M.C., D.C.M. South African Force
  12. 1919 Aug 19 2nd South African Infantry Temp. Capt. W. L. King, M.C., D.C.M., relinquishes his commn. on completion of service
  13. 1920 He then appears in Dublin commanding F Coy Auxilliary Div in 1920
  14. 1921 Court martialed, not guilty of murder and sent to Galway to command D coy there
  15. 1921 Nov 15 he relinquished command and he ceases to be attached to A.D.R.I.C.
  16. 1926 divorced
  17. ? remarries a woman called Dorothy, I cannot find the marriage. She is given as his widow on CWHC
  18. 1940 Mar 4 General List. The undermentioned to be 2nd Lt.:— Capt. William Lorraine KING, M.C., D.C.M. (125401)
  19. 1942 Nov 14 Died in Gaza. Major W L King, General List, age 57, service no 125401, MC and bar, DCM. CWGC

His life from 1901 to 1916 is a bit of a mystery

There are few mentions in LG, the web page gives the links to the ones I have found.

He appears to be mentioned under the Auxiliaries in Dublin only in connection with the murders of Conor Clune, Paeder Clancy, and Dick McKee: and of Kennedy and Murphy, for which he was court-martialed. Plus more general accusations of torture. He appears to have lived in Dublin under the name of Nobel/Noble (I suspect because the name "king" was not a good name to have in Dublin at that time)

I can find nothing of his time in Galway apart from vague allusions to his involvement to murders there

It was suggested on another thread that he might have joined Palestine police, but information on them seems hard to get - as I gather you have to go to St Anthony's College Oxford.

I have no idea what he was doing in WW2. Seems odd re-joining as 2nd Lt, but I have no doubt that is the right man

His marriage to Dorothy Dawson was registered in Romford (vol 4a page 2680) in the September Qtr of 1939.

Aled

Thanks Aled

Example of how useful it is to post here. I had (wrongly) assumed that he re-married immediately after his divorce, never though to look in 1939 :-(

(fresh from a good lunch, so ready to attack William L King again)

Hi,

Here are his Army Listings

Regards Mark

28 Nov 1917

2nd SOUTH AFRICAN INFANTRY. (Natal and Orange Free State Regiment),

Lieutenant

*King W L, MC 12 Oct16 (has War service)

28 Nov 1918

Lieutenant

*King, W. L., M.C. D.C.M. (Acting Capt. 30 June18) 12 Oct.16 (has War service)

Mark

Thanks you

Do I deduce that he was commissioned 12 Oct 1916 from those two Army List entries?

Hi,

Just found him on the 31 Oct 1916 Army List

2nd Lieutenant

*King W L 12 May 1916

Thanks Mark

So its 2nd Lt 12 May 1916 and Lt on 12 Oct 1916

I have no idea what he was doing in WW2. Seems odd re-joining as 2nd Lt, but I have no doubt that is the right man

Maybe it had something to to do with his service in Ireland,or could he have been suffering from ill heath as he was dead within 3 years.

[. He appears to have lived in Dublin under the name of Nobel/Noble (I suspect because the name "king" was not a good name to have in Dublin at that time/quote]

"The surname king" was fairly common in Dublin at the time and still is, I have never seen any suggestion anywhere that people changed their names, it is more plausible that it was just the name he used for his undercover activities.

Regards,

Murrough.

2nd Lieutenant

Anyone know how to get info on men who joined up in South African Infantry

Thanks Mark, that looks a good place for me to try

Thanks, I missed that one. I tend to make the mistake of consistently setting my date spans for searches over too short a period!

Hi,

Here is a short account of the 2nd South African Infantry fighting at Halazin in Jan 1916. I got the information form 'The Sanusi's Little War' by Russell McGuirk

Regards Mark

20 Jan 1916 2nd South African Infantry arrived at Matruh beach by sea. An areoplane took off from the same beach and immediatly had engine trouble, by the time it had turned around, the beach had become crowded with soldiers, and it was forced to ditch in the lagoon. Pilot and observer were not injured and picked up by a boat. The plane was salvaged from the water.

A half flight (No 14 Sqn) was at Mersa Matruh; consisting of two BE2c’s

22 Jan 1916 The British force left Matruh to attack Sanusi camped at Halazin & covered 12 miles to Bir Shola, a night bivouac was made with no camp fires allowed.

23 Jan 1916 Before dawn two columns were formed with the infantry on the right and cavalry on the left.

The 15th Sikhs were in the forward attack formation with the 2nd South African Infantry and 1st New Zealand Rifle Brigade to the rear in support. The Sanusi army was in a crescent shape half a mile long.

10am The Sikhs advanced on the centre of the Sanusi army, while the 2nd South African Infantry and New Zealanders followed.

The advance stalled in face of fire from 5 Turkish machine guns. The Notts Battery RHA returned fire at 1200 yards. At Midday the Sanusi were observed moving along both flanks of the column, two companies of 2nd South African Infantry were sent to cover the right flank, but were checked by machine gun fire, one company of New Zealanders with machine guns sent to reinforce the2nd South African Infantry, but the column continued to be outflanked. A company of Royal Scots sent to reinforce the 2nd South African Infantry as well. These moves greatly extended the Sanusi front, but the flanking threat was eventually stopped. The 2nd South African Infantry was then able to join the Sikh front line and then worked their way through the Sanusi camp to the final line of trenches, the Sanusi army was in full retreat to the west., by mid afternoon battle over.

Allied casualties 31 dead and 291 wounded, and the Sanusi & Turkish casualties estimated at 200 dead and 500 wounded.

Thanks Mark,

That is a much fuller account that the one I had.

Hi,

Also from the same book, a reference to the relevant War Diary

Regards Mark

WO/ 95/4437: The final entry of the WFF War Diary (General Staff) reads ’28 March WFF ceased to exist’.

Hi,

Here is some more information in the actions in North Africa.

Regards Mark

The South African Brigade arrived in Egypt from England, and their 2nd Regiment was immediately moved to join his column. For lack of railway transport, they moved from Alexandria by boat, landing at Mersa Matruh on 21 January

28 Feb 1916 Two days after the victory at al-Aqaqir which the 2nd Battalion did not take part in, Sidi Barani was occupied without opposition.

8 March 1916 the whole force had assembled at Sidi Barani for an advance on Sollum.

9 March The 4 South African battalions left Sidi Barani

11 March A group of armoured cars led by the Duke of Westminster left Sidi Barani for Alam al Ribiya to the plateau to reach Sollum

11 March The force bivouacked at Baqbaq and reports arrived that the well water was insufficient and of bad quality. The force proceeded with two of the South African battalions only to the Medean pass with a company of Australian Camel Corps bearing water.

The remaining two South African battalions were sent back to Baqbaq to become a 3rd column and it would take the route along the coastal track.

A cavalry column would also move along the coast.

The three columns would reunite at Halfaya Pass 3 miles SE of Sollum

12 March 1916 The armoured cars reached the Medaen Pass just as the first South Africans reached the Plateau, dehydrated and gasping for water.

Most stayed below until water arrived the next day the 13th.

13 March 1916 The Australian Camel Corps arrived at the foot of the pass. Day spent getting men, supplies, water and camels on the plateau. Late afternoon column on plateau moved to Bir Siwiat and set up camp. Infantry on plain below was at Alam Tajdid where there was water, and the cavalry column was at nearby Baqbaq.

14 March 1916 At 4am the cavalry column left Baqbaq and united with the infantry at Alam Tajdid and the combined columns moved down the Khedival Road. . The convergence of the force took place at mid morning. At this time areoplane reconnaissance reported that the Sanusi had evacuated their positions at Bir War’r and Solluum 7 miles away.

The armoured cars set off in pursuit and headed into Libya for 25 miles and fought a battle against the Sanusi at Bir Aziz. Of the Turkish and Sanusi 50 were killed, 40 surrendered and the rest fled into rocky terrain. It was over by 1pm. Genral Lukin’s infantry marched into Sollum without opposition led by a band of South African Scots playing bagpipes. The main objectives had been achieved with the Sanusi defeated along the coast and Sollum occupied.

Thanks Mark,

FAscinating stuff, I had never realised that there was action in the same location as WW2 with places like Mersa Matruh

Thanks Mark

That Delville Wood site is remarkably good. I have emailed them to see if they have any more on King

His regimental number was 3782

Nothing on the back of these cards.

Regards Mark

post-14045-1277041537.jpg

post-14045-1277041550.jpg

Name: William KING

Branch at death: Other Corps, Etc

Regiment, Corps etc.: General List

Branch at 01/09/39:

Regiment, Corps etc.:

Last name: King

First name(s): William

Initials: W L MC BAR DCM

Birthplace: London (Not Otherwise Specified)

Residence: London N

Number: 125401

Date died: 14 November 1942

Theatre of war: Middle East

Army Roll of Honour 1939-45 database © Naval and Military Press Ltd 2006.

Parents:

William King Born 1840 Died 1917 in London

Margaret Reid Born 1856 in Scotland

Photo 'Cairo 1942'

post-14045-1277042397.jpg