Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Epaulettes

Dannemois

My son-in-law as a collection of uniform epaulettes and I wondered what I can do as far as researching them goes. Any suggestions and ideas appreciated. One attached, yellow cloth with motif and number in red

Roy

post-34874-1215094106.jpg

20th Foot Artillery I believe.

TT

Imperial Germany.

Trenchtrotter's right: Schulterklappe, M1915, Mannschaften (or's), Lauenburgisches Fußartillerie-Regt. Nr.20

Altona, VIII Armee Korps.

My son-in-law as a collection of uniform epaulettes and I wondered what I can do as far as researching them goes. Any suggestions and ideas appreciated. One attached, yellow cloth with motif and number in red

Roy

Thanks Brett, I played around for a couple of hours looks a good site.

Thanks to trenchtrotter and eparges, I hope you guys don't mind but I have added another epaulette for identification. I would appreciate your help

post-34874-1215200156.jpg [Red with yellow motif and number]

Roy

HI Roy,

the bomb indicates a fieldartillery (Feld-Artillerie) unit, red with yellow cyphers is the Mannschaften (Kanonier), M1915 strap. The high number indicates a (late) war raised unit, I'm not sure in this case if it indicates a (full) Regiment or Batterie-Gruppe. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on artillery-units can shed some light...

HI Roy,

the bomb indicates a fieldartillery (Feld-Artillerie) unit, red with yellow cyphers is the Mannschaften (Kanonier), M1915 strap. The high number indicates a (late) war raised unit, I'm not sure in this case if it indicates a (full) Regiment or Batterie-Gruppe. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on artillery-units can shed some light...

Many thanks for the info. I was wondering how best to identify others I have, it would be a bit of a cheek to keep posting here so can you reccomend a book I can buy?

Keep posting...love to see and love to help.

Regards

TT

Keep posting...love to see and love to help.

Regards

TT

Thanks TT, if I am honest I was hoping for that reply and will keep on posting.

post-34874-1215339579.jpg

The best I can describe this one is silver thread on a white back cloth?

Roy

Prussian officers, Lieutenant. Would have had numbers and stars to indicate rank and unit (this one poss un issued?). Trawling my knowledge Officerstellvetrieters had no numbers / rank pips etc so may be that. Will confirm this but I may be contradicted here. Is there any holes that may show it had unit numerals / cypher or pips?

The black threads indicate prussia, blue for Bavaria and Green for Saxony amongst others.

TT

I agree (with most). they appear to have a white base, which for this model (M1910) is for, in general, an infantry regiment in the I,II, IX, XII or I Bay. Armee Korps. I think I can see holes/'damage' to the weave where the cyphers/pips/ etc have been, and perhaps wishful thinking, on the right I see the imprint of an '8'. Have a closer look, these numbers usually leave a (slight) imprint...that way we could attribute the piece. Oh yeah, keep them coming, no problemo :rolleyes:

Forgot about the Off.Stellvertreter: they didn't wear the off. pattern (cords) but the standard troops model, with lace around the edges. Sometimes, troops model (private purchase) was worn, with lace and metal numbers/monograms as officers. So, this SchulterSTüCK (as opposed to the or's SchulterKLAPPE) can only be officers.

Hereby an exemple of how it should have looked (this one is of the Füsilier Regiment 73 from Hannover, Ernst Jüngers regiment...)

klap311.jpg

Prussian officers, Lieutenant. Would have had numbers and stars to indicate rank and unit (this one poss un issued?). Trawling my knowledge Officerstellvetrieters had no numbers / rank pips etc so may be that. Will confirm this but I may be contradicted here. Is there any holes that may show it had unit numerals / cypher or pips?

The black threads indicate prussia, blue for Bavaria and Green for Saxony amongst others.

TT

Now that you've mentioned it, I can see the '8' imprint and with the aid of a magnifying glass can just about see something left of the '8' and to my untrained eye would guess at a '3'.

post-34874-1215377134.jpg

Roy

You See! So, judging from the interspacing between the numbers it could be IR 138 or R/L.I.R. 238/338...

Wow, that's a rarety, if I get the colors right, M1915 Husarenregiment No.7 (sorry!, blue and yellow, so not 17)

Thanks Brett, I played around for a couple of hours looks a good site.

Thanks to trenchtrotter and eparges, I hope you guys don't mind but I have added another epaulette for identification. I would appreciate your help

post-34874-1215200156.jpg [Red with yellow motif and number]

Roy

Hello!

This is the german field-artillerie regiment 503. Formed Feb,1. 1917, Mobilization Feb,24.1917

Cheers, Andreas

You See! So, judging from the interspacing between the numbers it could be IR 138 or R/L.I.R. 238/338...

Wow, that's a rarety, if I get the colors right, M1915 Husarenregiment No.7 (sorry!, blue and yellow, so not 17)

I am not sure what we are talking about here, are we still on the silver epaulette or are we saying the blue and yellow one is a rarety. Please will someone mention if I am posting the next image too quickly, without giving you guys the chance to discuss which ever one is current.

Roy

I am not sure what we are talking about here, are we still on the silver epaulette or are we saying the blue and yellow one is a rarety. Please will someone mention if I am posting the next image too quickly, without giving you guys the chance to discuss which ever one is current.

Roy

I was refering to the blue-yellow one, the last one you posted, Husaren.

Hello!

Talkin about the blue/yellow one.

You´ve got to specify the blue color.

Russian blue: 7th Hussards

Cornflower blue: 9th Hussards

Light blue: 18th Hussards

Cheers, Andreas

Hello!

Talkin about the blue/yellow one.

You´ve got to specify the blue color.

Russian blue: 7th Hussards

Cornflower blue: 9th Hussards

Light blue: 18th Hussards

Cheers, Andreas

Not knowing the shade of 'Russian Blue', I would say it is 'Cornflower Blue'

Roy

next attachement:post-34874-1215448600.jpg

Hi Roy!

What we´ve got here, is either the saxon Reserve-Infantry-Regiment 241 (formed in October 1914), shoulderstripes made for the peace-time uniform, or the Field-artillery regiment 241, formed 16.march 1916, but in that case, the yellow grenade is missing. Any other ideas?

Bavarian FA regiments didn´t have the yellow grenade, but the 241st was deffiantly prussian.

Krankenträger no!

Krankenträger, model 1915 had a dark blue base colour with cornflower blue piping and the 07/10 model had carmine base colour with a yellow, arabic, corps number