Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

img00111.jpg

The rare German version of fighting 1914/1915 ,  around  hill of Notre Dame de  Lorette , written in 2016 by a young German historian Alexander Keusgen .

On 4/30/2012 at 14:35, truthergw said:

Leon Wolff's book is one of the classics. I would definitely recommend it for a gripping description of the war and Passchendaele in particular. That said, it was written quite some time ago and from an openly left wing point of view. Wolff was a pacifist and naturally critical of Haig and the strategy of attrition. Much factual material has been brought into the light of day and much discussion of how the war was fought has taken place since the book was written. I would put it next to Graves and Sassoon on my shelf. Well worth a read but with reservations as to analysis.

Having just started Wolff's 'In Flanders Fields' I was interested to see other opinions and hence found comments in this thread.

The point I have found strangest so far is in Gn Fuller's introduction - lambasting Haig for being cavalry obsessed and,not adopting new tactics and technology - strange words to come from the pen of the commander of the Tank Corps.

6 hours ago, Phil Wood said:

Having just started Wolff's 'In Flanders Fields' I was interested to see other opinions and hence found comments in this thread.

The point I have found strangest so far is in Gn Fuller's introduction - lambasting Haig for being cavalry obsessed and,not adopting new tactics and technology - strange words to come from the pen of the commander of the Tank Corps.

Wolff's book is my favourite on 3rd Ypres.  Having said that, I would concur with Truthergw's assessment.  There is a lot of previously unavailable information out now, and all one can do, is sift through it, and draw one's own conclusions. There are arguments on both sides regarding Haig's use of new technology, but with respect to 3rd Ypres the main problem with the tanks was mud. Can't remember where I read it, but the suggestion was that tanks were often used inappropriately in the beginning.

Hazel C.

Harris, Paul, The Men Who Planned The War: A Study of the Staff of the British Army on the Western Front, 1914-1918, Ashgate Studies in First World War History, 2016

From my very good friend, the talented and nice (Dr.) Paul Harris. Horribly expensive as, unfortunately, forced by the pressures of academic publishing, but a hugely important addition to current knowledge. Will do a full review if required but beg, borrow or...get hold of a copy if and when you can.

Cheers,

Simon

There's a thread on the Books forum 'You can get the staff!' about this book, and there's a link to it on-line

Or there was. It seems to have disappeared.

No, it is there, back in May.

'The Road to Yozgad: my war 1914-1919' / Lt Arthur Valentine Holyoake; transcribed & edited by Douglas Bridgewater.  Brighton: Menin House, 2013.

I'm really enjoying this - written in 1920 and revisited in the 1970s before finally achieving publication.

My one reservation is on Lionel Tudway's behalf - I can't think why the editor assigned him twice to the RFA when it would have taken only a little research to place him correctly in the RN. (Also, there are typos that cannot solely be assigned to having kept the original author's original spelling).

15 hours ago, paulgranger said:

No, it is there, back in May.

Now I found it. Was amazed there was no review of this important work although, that thread largely turned into an exposé and denigration of academic publishing policy and marketing. It may be me but I had great difficulty in locating the thread even with accurate and narrow search terms. 

Cheers,

Simon

14 minutes ago, sjustice said:

Now I found it. Was amazed there was no review of this important work although, that thread largely turned into an exposé and denigration of academic publishing policy and marketing. It may be me but I had great difficulty in locating the thread even with accurate and narrow search terms. 

Cheers,

Simon

Yes, I had difficulty finding it through the search engine and resorted to trawling through the posts. I am afraid the thread did turn into a criticism of the publishers, but many of us are frustrated at the cost of books we'd like to read, and this one is a case in point. However, we've gone over that ground, and I'm not renewing the assault!

I am currently reading Nothing of Importance by Bernard Adams.

The blurb for the book from N&M press covers it quite well.

Memoir of an officer of the 1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers who arrived in France in October 1915, was wounded in June 1916, returned to his battalion in January 1917 and died of wound in Feb 1918. An outstanding account of trench warfare

As one of many Forum Pals to have picked it up cheaply in the Works recently, I thought I'd read Huntly Gordon's 'The Unreturning Army'.

Only a few chapters in but I already understand why it enjoys such a high reputation. It is beautifully written and comfortably treads a path between affectionate memoir of an Edwardian youth and grisly reportage of the trenches.

David

Currently enjoying T.E Lawrence and the Arab Revolt: An Illustrated Guide  by Joseph Berton.   Has many pictures I've never seen before.   Nice change from the Western Front.  Bif

PS

Wonder what Ghazala might think of it ?

On 7/17/2016 at 10:23, trajan said:

Just started on John Sheen's With Bayonet's Fixed: The 12th and 13th Battalions of the Durham Light Infantry in the Great War. My usual grumble: no sources indicated... But otherwise it seems to be well-researched (which is why there should be an indication of the sources!) and well-written.

Sorry if I seem to be overly grumbling and overly pedantic, but although I am enjoying reading the book, and I appreciate and understand the effort that has gone into it, I have been frequently frustrated and even mildly annoyed to keep coming across references to such things as, e.g., the 13/DLI moving to 'I.18.4', and maps that show no indication as to what is where and how they relate to the text. Yes, I know that 'I.29.c.9.5' is a map reference - but I am, if you like, a 'general reader', who - like many others I assume - got the book to follow up on what these two battalions were doing when and where: and without adequate maps and more precise locational details, and / or going onto the computer at frequent intervals, it really does not make any sense at all in terms of that 'when and where' facet. Even more frustrating in a sense, though, and very much a personal peeve, I know, is that I have the trio for HW Hardman, Lt. with the 12/DLI, and later Act.Capt.ASC: and while he is noted in the Roll of Officers as leaving the battalion on 12 04 16 with shellshock, he gets no mention at all on the relevant pages even though details are provided for other officers who left for the same or a similar reason...

There, I have grumbled enough (for now!)

Trajan

The Siege / Russell Braddon. Very gripping and readable, but definitely of the lions/donkeys tradition - lays into Townshend with a sledgehammer, leaving me wondering whether he has been selective with his quotations. From there I have moved on to Ronald Millar's Kut: the death of an army. 

I'm about to start Britain and France in Two World Wars: Truth, Myth and Memory, edited by Robert Tombs and Emile Chabal.

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 23:03, David Ridgus said:

As one of many Forum Pals to have picked it up cheaply in the Works recently, I thought I'd read Huntly Gordon's 'The Unreturning Army'.

Only a few chapters in but I already understand why it enjoys such a high reputation. It is beautifully written and comfortably treads a path between affectionate memoir of an Edwardian youth and grisly reportage of the trenches.

David

Following this recommendation, I bought this (also from The Works) yesterday, so it's now on my pile of books to read.

I'm not sure when I'll get to it, but I will do so as soon as I can. It's size indicates that it'll be a good "travelling book", as it doesn't take up much space.

5 hours ago, The Scorer said:

It's size indicates that it'll be a good "travelling book", as it doesn't take up much space.

My thought too! I actually stopped reading it at the point I wrote my recommendation and am about to resume on our trip up to Norfolk for a summer break this weekend 

David

Well I am not actually reading it yet because I have only just found it in a local Oxfam shop, 1977 first edition by John Terraine - The Road to Passchendaele, published by Leo Cooper, cost just £5, in a very good condition, this will be an enjoyable read.

John

Cameos of the western front- Salient Points One by Tony Spagnoly. Book Virgin just starting out WW1. Just back from Ypres so book has relevence to my trip.

On 25/07/2016 at 23:47, seaJane said:

The Siege / Russell Braddon. Very gripping and readable, but definitely of the lions/donkeys tradition - lays into Townshend with a sledgehammer, leaving me wondering whether he has been selective with his quotations. From there I have moved on to Ronald Millar's Kut: the death of an army. 

I read that many years ago, over 40 years ago in fact (!), but I do seem to remember it was very readable, particularly as I knew nothing about the siege of Kut or Townshend, so I wasn't able to make any judgements about it.  I recently read 'Chitral Charlie: The Rise and Fall of Major General Charles Townshend' by Norman Nash.  I thought it gave a well rounded view of Townshend with all his faults and virtues.  Something I did find interesting was Townshend's addiction to playing the banjo in his early life.  It doesn't get a mention later, but I did wonder if perhaps he gave impromptu banjo sessiions to cheer up the lads in Kut!

10 minutes ago, 593jones said:

I did wonder if perhaps he gave impromptu banjo sessiions to cheer up the lads in Kut!

Would have been more likely to encourage desertion, no??? :D  Certainly I had no idea until I read Braddon that Townshend was so much of a socialite. Braddon gives the impression that all the men and officers worshipped him, whereas I got the feeling that Sandes (In Kut and captivity) had distinct reservations, just from what he did not say.

sJ

8 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Would have been more likely to encourage desertion, no??? :D  Certainly I had no idea until I read Braddon that Townshend was so much of a socialite. Braddon gives the impression that all the men and officers worshipped him, whereas I got the feeling that Sandes (In Kut and captivity) had distinct reservations, just from what he did not say.

sJ

Nash certainly gives the impression that Townshend was popular with the troops, although his indifference to their treatment in captivity does not show a good side to his character, nor, indeed, does his espousal of Turkish interests during his captivity and after the war.  His own treatment as a prisoner was far removed from that of the men under his command. 

Townshend's ambition during his career was quite remarkable, whatever job he had angled for and was given was never enough. there was always a better job elsewhere and he would not hesitate to pull strings and use influence to get it.  Certainly an interesting character.

Just finished Martin Middlebrook's First Day On The Somme. Very gripping and in my eyes he seemed a tad defensive of Haig but I would have to look further into the communication weakness' of the Haig and Rawlinson relaionship. 

My ever go to book for photographic work is the IWM's new issue called 'The Great War' a large and heavy book that definitely needs to be read sat at a table. It also focuses largely on Lt Ernest Brooks work as he was a pioneering individual in the work of military photography.

I'm now considering reading 'Ring Of Steel: Germany and Austria-Hungary at War' by Alexander Watson

German speakers in the Forum may find Gefangen Im Krieg: Giessen 1914 - 1919 by Ludwig Brake, Eckhardt Ehlers and Ute Thimm of interest.  It's a large book, 630 pages, in two parts.  The first part covers the effect of the war on the town of Giessen and the second part covers the prisoner of war camp on the then outskirts of the town.  The camp was very large and by the end of the war it held about 26000 prisoners which, I believe, was greater than the population of Giessen at that time.  I should add I'm not really reading this book, since I've only been learning German for two years but thankfully it is well illustrated so I'm slowly getting the gist of things.   I bought it Amazon for less than £20. Not bad for a hardback book of it's size.

My great uncle was a prisoner in Giessen for almost 4 years, which was why the book caught my interest.  He was in the Scots Guards, 19 when captured and only been in France for two weeks in January 1915.  I guess he was one of the lucky ones.

Keith