Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Loos

McBlain

I am interested to know if my Great Grandfather David McBlain (S3485) who served in the 12 Rifle Brigade may have fought in the Battle of Loos in September 1915. I believe the Battalion were involved, being posted in the Levantie area. He was in D Company of his Battalion, but as to whether the whole Battalion was involved I am unsure. Could anyone advise me ? Thanks. Kevin

According to the LONG LONG TRAIL, they were involved in "Attack towards Fromelles, a subsidiary to the Battle of Loos, 25 September 1915"

Neil

Kevin,

The service record of the 12th for the 24th & 25th September reads as follows:-

24th Laventie. Ammunition issued, sand-bags, tools, etc., kits and blankets being stored, prepared generally for advance.

The Battalion moved out of Laventie at 6 p.m. independently, men paraded in fighting order with packs, carrying 220 rounds ammunition per man, and every alternate man a pick and shovel. Companies took up the following positions. "D" and "D" occupying support trenches from Winchester Street to Lonely Erith Street with "D" on right.

"C" and "B" in the assembly trenches near Chapigny Farm, with "C" Company on the right; All Companies in position by 10 p.m. It had been raining during day, trenches very muddy, wind S.E. Battalion Headquarters established in the advance Brigade Headquarters dug-outs at Chapigny Farm.

Andy

Kevin,

There is a lot concerning the 25th, if you e-mail me with your e-mail address I will send you the War Diaries to help you plot you relations path through the war.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin,

There is a lot concerning the 25th, if you e-mail me with your e-mail address I will send you the War Diaries to help you plot you relations path through the war.

Andy

I went to the battlefield on 25th as it was the 92nd anniversary.I took several photos which show how unchanged the area is today.It would be good to dig.

Winchester Road,where the 2nd Black Watch attacked is there as is the sunken road and the Moated Grange.The 12th Rifle Brigade's position is evident as are the buildings at Chapigny.The position where the mine was exploded is apparent.

I can't upload the pictures.If anyone wants them,anotated to Tom's Fig 1 Meerut Division map from 25th Sept 1915,give me a mail address and I'll send them.

It seems to be a forgotten attack,but an interesting one.

Cheers

Andy-(Blue Max).

I am interested to know if my Great Grandfather David McBlain (S3485) who served in the 12 Rifle Brigade may have fought in the Battle of Loos in September 1915. I believe the Battalion were involved, being posted in the Levantie area. He was in D Company of his Battalion, but as to whether the whole Battalion was involved I am unsure. Could anyone advise me ? Thanks. Kevin

Kevin,

There are already quite a few informative Topics on this action - supposedly a "diversion" for the main battle at Loos :mellow:

Andy is the RB expert and has already replied. Neil's info on the Black Watch also gives a lot of info on 12/RB's involvement (though occasionally they are mistakenly called 12/KRRC).

Try these links:

Loos,25th September 1915, attack towards Fromelles by Bareilly Division

Loos 25th September 1915 Rifle Brigade, attack towards Fromelles

Lt C R C Maltby 12th Bn Rifle Brigade, any more infomation ?

and here's a 1918 Trench Map of the Chapigny Farm/Mauquissart/Moulin de Pietre area where the attack took place:

(sorry it's a bit hard to read!)

post-20192-1191337193.jpg

The Moulin is 'Pietre Mill' in the centre of the lower right quadrant.

Winchester Road (presumably named after Rifles Depot??) crosses the edge of the map just S of the top left corner.

The road bend in Mauquissart is 3/4s down the centre line.I assume the cluster of blue symbols just left of the centre line represents the craters caused by exploding the mine.

Cheers,

Mark

• 8 years later...

Mates,

I am interested on learning about a certain diary of Rifleman James William "Will" Allen, 12/KRRC .... HETHERINGTON WM R/1077 12TH BN 05/10/1916 KING'S ROYAL RIFLE CORPS. He supposedly witnessed the death of Captain Leonard Herbert Sweet, a pilot in 29 Sqdn on 22nd June 1916. Capt Sweet was flying an F.E.8 (6378) and was later shot down by enemy aircraft, N.W. of Ypres.

Any info concerning this diary would be greatly appreciated - tks in advance

MY email address is: tcrean7828@yahoo.com

tcrean7828

tom