Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt C R C Maltby 12th Bn Rifle Brigade

Keith65

This is a request to see if there is any more information out there regarding Lt C R C Maltby, I’ve read the war service record of the 12th Bn posted by Andy Pay (Stiletto), so know the details of his death, but I wonder if there would be more details on him elsewhere or in the regimental history, especially as he was Adjutant, which as I understand it was a key role. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Keith,

There is no mention of Lt Maltby in the Regimental history and in the 1916 Rifle Brigade Chronicles he appears in the Roll but no obituary unfortunately.

Andy

He's on the MICs as:

Medal card of Maltby, Charles Robert Crigaton

Corps Regiment No Rank

Rifle Brigade Second Lieutenant

Should this be Crighton?

His appointment as Adjutant:

London Gazette 21-9-1916

Rif. Brig.

Brev. Lt.-Col. J. Harington, D.S.O., to be temp. Lt.-Col. whilst comdg. a Bn. 12 July 1916.

Temp. Lt. C. R. C. Maltby (since died of wounds received in action) to be Adjt., vice Capt. R. U. H. Prioleau. 21 June 1916.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Steve.

I'm having problems with the Gazette site at the moment, but I'll try to find his commission and promotion to Lieutenant when I can.

Steve.

His casualty return

post-1871-1149761726.jpg

Hi Keith,

There is no mention of Lt Maltby in the Regimental history and in the 1916 Rifle Brigade Chronicles he appears in the Roll but no obituary unfortunately.

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for looking anyway

Keith

1916 Chronicles Roll

post-1871-1149762017.jpg

From the Times 9th September 1916

post-6536-1149762051.jpg

Steve.

I'm having problems with the Gazette site at the moment, but I'll try to find his commission and promotion to Lieutenant when I can.

Steve.

Thanks for taking the trouble Steve,

Keith

Keith,

War Dairy entry is as follows:-

26th Commenced practising attack but enemy started shooting at battery behind us with 4" gun + we had to give up. 1 man killed. Rained at intervals during afternoon. Enemy continued shelling countryside intermittently.

About 8.30 p.m. a shell dropped right into "C" Coys officers mess, a trench. 2nd Lt's Taylor and Parmenter were killed outright Lt C. Foster Brown, commanding "D" Coy + Lt + Adjt C.R.C. Maltby were both severly wounded + both died the following day. 2nd Lt Tudor Owen was seriously wounded.

Commanding officers Pow Wow at brigade H.Q. at 9.30 p.m. plan of attack slightly modified.

KSLI now attacking Brompton Road only, KRRC Quarry + Hill Street. This Bn to go thro KRR's and capture + consolidate North Street. 6th Oxford + Bucks + 61st brigade would go thro us + capture the line Guinchy-Wedge Wood. Rained all night.

Andy

Steve and Andy,

Thanks a lot, as a newcomer to this site I’m blown away by the generosity and knowledge of the people on here, I read that the 12th Bn were involved in the sharp end of it at Loos, and that their medical officer won the VC.

Could either of you tell me the role of Adjutant meant?

Keith

Hi Keith,

the attack on the 25th September 1915 was at Pietre and yes the medical officer to the 12th R.B. did win the V.C. From the Regimental History:-

Headquarters with the C.O. (Lieut.-Colonel W.G. Pigott) and the Adjutant (Capt. R.U.H. Priorleau) moved forward to an advanced report centre at 8.30 a.m.

No sooner had they arrived when a heavy shell burst among them, killing the entire party with the exception of the C.O. and the Adjutant, and in addition wrecked the Regimental aid post, killing the Corporal in charge, many orderlies and a number of the wounded. The M.O., Captain G. Malim, R.A.M.C., was knocked senseless but recovered and continued his work single-handed. Within a few minutes another direct hit on the parapet hurled him into the air and exposed what remained of the aid post to the full view of the enemy. Nevertheless Captain Malim worked on for twenty-four hours attending single-handed to more that 400 cases. He was awarded the V.C. and richly deserved it.

Andy

Hi Keith,

the attack on the 25th September 1915 was at Pietre and yes the medical officer to the 12th R.B. did win the V.C. From the Regimental History:-

Headquarters with the C.O. (Lieut.-Colonel W.G. Pigott) and the Adjutant (Capt. R.U.H. Priorleau) moved forward to an advanced report centre at 8.30 a.m.

No sooner had they arrived when a heavy shell burst among them, killing the entire party with the exception of the C.O. and the Adjutant, and in addition wrecked the Regimental aid post, killing the Corporal in charge, many orderlies and a number of the wounded. The M.O., Captain G. Malim, R.A.M.C., was knocked senseless but recovered and continued his work single-handed. Within a few minutes another direct hit on the parapet hurled him into the air and exposed what remained of the aid post to the full view of the enemy. Nevertheless Captain Malim worked on for twenty-four hours attending single-handed to more that 400 cases. He was awarded the V.C. and richly deserved it.

Andy

Malin certainly earned his VC; I find it very hard to imagine how people do things like that. If Maltby was Adjutant in July of 1916 do you think it probable that he was with the 12th at Loos? Was Adjutant a sort of right hand man to the CO?

Thanks again,

Keith

Hi Keith,

Malim was very highly regarded by the 12th during his time with them. I can find no mention of Maltby in the War Diaries of the 12th at Pietre but as a new officer and new to the 12th in this period of time !!!

Adjutant was an asistant to the C.O.

Andy

Keith,

Sorry, he was there and appears leading two platoons on the 25th September so he was with the Battalion at this time.

Andy

The battalion would have had an 2nd-in-command, usually the senior Major, whereas CO was usually a Lt-Col. The Adjutant was in charge of battalion administration. He was, in a way, left-hand man to the C.O. The battalion would also have had a Quartermaster and Transport Officer whose duties were in a similar vein to the Adjutant.

Most war diaries were either compiled, or at least overseen, by the Adjutant, and he would also have had a hand in compiling the casualty returns, etc.

While he was not a "Company" officer, the Adjutant still got into combat. In combat the Adjutant was definitely right-hand man to the C.O. as C.O. and 2-in-C were barred from being in an attack together. The Adjutant was pretty much the C.O.'s "shadow" during attacks.

For instance, both times the C.O. of the 6th Northants was blown up by a shell his Adjutants (2 different men at different times) were blown up with him!

Steve.

Keith,

Sorry, he was there and appears leading two platoons on the 25th September so he was with the Battalion at this time.

Andy

Right,

Cheers Andy

The battalion would have had an 2nd-in-command, usually the senior Major, whereas CO was usually a Lt-Col. The Adjutant was in charge of battalion administration. He was, in a way, left-hand man to the C.O. The battalion would also have had a Quartermaster and Transport Officer whose duties were in a similar vein to the Adjutant.

Most war diaries were either compiled, or at least overseen, by the Adjutant, and he would also have had a hand in compiling the casualty returns, etc.

While he was not a "Company" officer, the Adjutant still got into combat. In combat the Adjutant was definitely right-hand man to the C.O. as C.O. and 2-in-C were barred from being in an attack together. The Adjutant was pretty much the C.O.'s "shadow" during attacks.

For instance, both times the C.O. of the 6th Northants was blown up by a shell his Adjutants (2 different men at different times) were blown up with him!

Steve.

Thanks, Steve