Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Collar Badge Id

nemesis

Can anyone advise on this ones regiment

post-3477-1213294231.jpg

post-3477-1213294810.jpg

Fife & Forfar Yeomanry???

Must be Fife & Forfar, as it resembles the cap badge for same..

Peter

Picture of rear of badge

thanks for interest

max

Must be Fife & Forfar, as it resembles the cap badge for same..

Peter

better picture attached

post-3477-1213296543.jpg

post-3477-1213296698.jpg

Hello,

This is in fact the collar badge of the 7th [Fifeshire] Battalion, Black Watch. The same badge was worn by the pre 1908 Fife Volunteer Battalion of the Black Watch. The badge is almost the same as the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry, but the Yeomanry badge did not have the Scroll above the Knight [The Thaine of Fife].

This style of collar badge is not very common.

Regards,

Stewart

Hello,

This is in fact the collar badge of the 7th [Fifeshire] Battalion, Black Watch. The same badge was worn by the pre 1908 Fife Volunteer Battalion of the Black Watch. The badge is almost the same as the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry, but the Yeomanry badge did not have the Scroll above the Knight [The Thaine of Fife].

Regards,

Stewart

Thanks Stewart for solving this mystery, so the badges could be quite early issue?

regards

max

Hello,

Regards,

Stewart

Stewart a couple of weeks ago I asked for help looking up this badge Do you know what it is, see my previous posts

post-3477-1213306242.jpg

Stewart a couple of weeks ago I asked for help looking up this badge Do you know what it is, see my previous posts

Hello,

I did see this badge, but I have not got a clue what it is. It is a strange mixture of Scottish and Asian art. The Cross and crown, I have seen on various bits of Scottish jewellery, but the bit on the top, I don't recognise. I think it must be a bit of private commissioned jewellery. Don't think it is military.

The Collar badges probably date from 1887- 1910ish. I don't know if it was worn pre 1887 by the various Fifeshire Rifle Volunteers, but after 1887 it was used by the 6th [Fifeshire] Volunteer Battalion, The Black Watch. In 1908 they became the 7th [Fife] Battalion, The Black Watch, Territorial Force.

I have a postcard of a member of the 7th Bn wearing his Dress Scarlet Doublet, the picture is dated 1910, and he is wearing these collar badges. He is also wearing the Star type badge of the Black Watch, and not the round Fife type badge, which dates from pre 1908, but which was used for some years after 1908.

All the best,

Stewart

Stewart,

You sometimes see the ORs and Officers wearing them in Service Dress post 1908, for some reason they did not wear St Andrew. I think I have a photo of this somewhere. Anyway, its a bit poor quality, but you can just make out the collar badges on this 7th BW Drummer in Walking Out Dress post 1908.

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-1213398492.jpg

Hello Tom,

Your right. As I mentioned I have a postcard dated 1910 of a Fifer wearing his scarlet doublet and he has these collar badges on. It seems probable they wore them right up to 1914 of there Dress/Walking out uniforms. I would be interested if know if there was an Officers version in Bronze for the service dress? I can't recall seeing any.

Regards,

Stewart

I am positive this is not a British Army badge. Everything about it is wrong, style, manufacture, materials and appearance.