Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte William Steeden 7389

jansanderson

Been doing some research looking at soldiers mentioned in the St Anne's Express and have come across Pte William Steeden mentioned 9th October 1914 of 59 Clifton St, St Anne's on Sea as serving with 4th Section, 3rd Coy, 11th Btn Lancashire Fusiliers at Codford St Mary. His name also appears on the town Memorial. I checked medal roll index and it shows him Kia 21.10.16 which I have subsequently discovered was when the 25th Division were involved in the Battle of Ancre Heights. I can not find his name in the CWGC database although there is a C W Steeden (also Lancashire Fusiliers and on War memorial) listed from St Anne's who I believe may be his cousin, they are both shown on 1901 census in St Anne's with fathers born in Buckinghamshire - searches of earlier census are suggestive without being conclusive without more research.

I'm happy to take this forward with CWGC myself (with guidance!) but wondered if I would be better to refer it to the Fusiliers' Museum first to see if this has been spotted before. Also with the evidence I have found do I need more before submitting an application for William's inclusion on the database?

Jan

Have you considered this man?

Name: STEEDAN, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Lancashire Fusiliers

Unit Text: 11th Bn.

Date of Death: 21/10/1916

Service No: 7389

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 3 C and 3 D.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

I kind of wondered why he wasn't there given all the other references, looks like you got him. Thanks Terry, I did try a variety of spellings but not that one! So how do I go about getting his name spelled correctly? All the references I have use Steeden not Steedan.

jan

Do not assume that there is a 'correct' spelling. Many names have variations which were used at various times by a family or even by the same member of the family. Also, the other sources may have it wrong.

CWGC records the name/spelling as supplied to them by the army. If that is how it was spelt by him in the army, then it will stay that way. I have seen thousands of such variations.

For any change to be made, you will need an official document with it spelt that way - service record or death certificate are best (a birth certificate is no good as it will not prove that it is the same person!). If you can get some evidence such as that, you can apply to have a change made. There is always the chance that it was a clerical error many years ago at CWGC but it appears as STEEDAN in the original CWGC register.

Thanks for the advice Terry

In fact the Medal roll index - a military source uses the Steeden spelling, the service number and regt are the same and two sources which most likely came from the family ie the entry in the newspaper as well as the name shown on the war memorial both use the Steeden spelling. I realise these aren't conclusive but I would consider them heavily suggestive. CWGC does not appear to have any imput from the family. i'll wait to see if there is a service record on file and if not will follow up on the death certificate. I've got more research to do in the area and may come across more anomalies so I'll hang fire for the moment.

I really appreciate your imput, thanks again

Jan