Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Casualties

bootneck

That would be interesting, but i dont think it has ever been done.

Neither do i think it would be possible to obtain an accurate figure, only estimates.

I've come across over 4,200 people from Shropshire, this is an ever increasing total.

Neil

First define "per county" or "from a county". County of birth, county of address on enlisting, county of N.o.k.? This is probably why so many appear to 'missing' from local war memorials.

Thanks for the replies.

It was a definitely vague enquiry as I was just wondering if it had been ever attempted. I am trying to get an idea of casualties for Surrey which is frought with problems of definition. I suppose using figures from the 1911 and 1921 Census Abstracts for Surrey might provide a very rough hypothetical total of male deaths but there would be too many caveats.

regards

Bootneck

For Surrey you could cross check the Recruitment Register CD with SDGW or CWGC - might not be 100% accurate but might be a simple way to start.

A search of SDGW using *Surrey as a search term gives the following totals for Other Ranks: Born in Surrey 17807, Enlisted in Surrey 11884 and Residence in Surrey 10357.

I would assume that some of these totals would include men covering more than one category but would miss anybody where Surrey is not mentioned.

Bootneck

Here's an idea. I worked on my local memorial which contained 71 names from 1920. Another 30 were not included, and have now been included on the memorial as bona fide Ruthin men. Of the hundred men killed, 30 were originally omitted for a variety of reasons. A rule of thumb county total number could be - All names on all county memorials, + say 20% as an omissions rectifier.

There is also the question of British-born emigrants who enlisted in Canada, Australia etc. While these were probably mainly from Scotland or Ireland, something over 50% of Canadian soldiers, and nearly as high a percentage of Australians, were first-generation emigrants.

Ron

Neil

I'm thinking that if another 30 names were found here on top of the original 70, that's a 30% omission rate. ^_^

Of the hundred men killed, 30 were originally omitted for a variety of reasons.

Hi,

Out of interest, were any of the 30 men named on other memorials?

Stuart

No; none. I spent two years (off and on) checking them all out regarding pedigree. The criteria for inclusion was fairly detailed but revolved around a minimum 10 year association with the town. The nearby village parishes were not included.. Having said that, they may be included on memorials beyond a 50 mile radius to Ruthin. If that is the case, the diference between the 30% on the memorial and the 20% suggested would assimilate that.

I did find 1 who had not died, but on demobment went to Canada. He had his name included on the memorial. In the early 80s he came back here; alive and full of vim!

Geraint

The criteria for inclusion.... revolved around a minimum 10 year association with the town.

That is very interesting and, perhaps, quite unusual? From my experience and reading other threads on this forum, the criteria for inclusion on many memorials did not appear to be very stringent.

Re: back from the dead. I hope it wasn't his family who submitted his name in 1920 under the false impression that he was dead!

Thanks,

Stuart

If a man was noted as "born Ruthin", and enlisted here, then he was a 'natural' inclusion. Those 'enlisted' Ruthin, and were found on the 1891 Census were also included. The difficult ones were those whose parents were here in 1901, but they were away, or they were here with no parent. Etc.

Put today's context to it. If they were born and bred, attended school etc - they would be naturally included. If they moved here at 20 years of age from Liverpool, lived here for a year, joined up and died, then Liverpool would be their natural home - not here. We tried to put that as a guiding light.

Geraint

Thats a very interesting read, needless to say it has me worried.

Means more research

Neil