Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lincolshire Regiment, 1st Battalion

simonrguy

I am researching the details of my Great Uncle Alfred Bradshaw who died aged 21 on 4 Oct 1917. He is listed on cwgc as being in the Lincolnshire regiment, 1st Bn. Can anyone shed any light on whereabouts he may have died (he's buried at Tyne Cot in a marked grave). Either that or are there any good resources I can look at to further my research.

Thanks

Simon

Hello Simon

1/Lincs were part of 62 Infantry Brigade, 21st Division. On 4 Oct 1917, the first day of the Battle of Broodseinde, the division was in Polygon Wood.

The War Diary is in the National Archives at Kew in file WO95/2154.

Ron

Hi simon

Sorry i do not have a copy of Simpson 'history of the Lincolnshire regt' to hand at the moment, but i can tell you from the Lincolnshire War and Victory medal rolls that 20465 Alfred Bradshaw was originally with the 8th Lincolnshire's before he was transferred to the 1st lincolnshire's. John Kitchen may be able to provide you with more info from his time with the 8th Lincs, he posts under the name 8linc7ra, and i have alerted him to your post.

Cheers

Chris

Hi simon

Sorry i do not have a copy of Simpson 'history of the Lincolnshire regt' to hand at the moment, but i can tell you from the Lincolnshire War and Victory medal rolls that 20465 Alfred Bradshaw was originally with the 8th Lincolnshire's before he was transferred to the 1st lincolnshire's. John Kitchen may be able to provide you with more info from his time with the 8th Lincs, he posts under the name 8linc7ra, and i have alerted him to your post.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks very much Chris, this is all very interesting and new! I hope John K can help me further

Hello Simon

1/Lincs were part of 62 Infantry Brigade, 21st Division. On 4 Oct 1917, the first day of the Battle of Broodseinde, the division was in Polygon Wood.

The War Diary is in the National Archives at Kew in file WO95/2154.

Ron

Many thanks, ron for your prompt reply. I think I feel the need for a trip to Kew, something I've not done before. Any tips on the best way to use this resource?

Hold fire on your trip to Kew I know someone who has the 1st Battalion War Diary hes away on hol till next weekend il contact him then for you.

Il check the 8th Lincs roll i have and see if there is anything there on your relative

John

Hold fire on your trip to Kew I know someone who has the 1st Battalion War Diary hes away on hol till next weekend il contact him then for you.

Il check the 8th Lincs roll i have and see if there is anything there on your relative

John

Many thanks John, look forward to hearing any news and thanks for contacting the gent with the diary.