Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Leonard Clarence Appleton

MelPack

From another thread concerning the Royal Berks it emerges that Pte. Leonard Clarence Appleton, Service No: 9019, 2nd Battalion Royal Berks may be a non commemoration.

Leonard died on 10 October 1914 at sea in transit from India to the UK with his Battalion. He has a MIC confirming his BWM entitlement for his service in India.

I cannot find him on the CWGC and I would appreciate others double checking for any oversight on my part. Otherwise I will leave it to the experts to start the wheels turning.

Regards

Mel

Mel

I can't find him in the Overseas Deaths Register so our "In From the Cold" project will not have picked him up.

This may, therefore, need an accumulation of evidence to present to CWGC that he actually died, whilst a serving soldier. What do you have?

John

He is on the Blewbury War memorial, not that that may mean firm evidence, and we have his service number. He is also on the medal rolls, is that enough? Not sure what else can be submitted.

Mark

Apologies - my post may not have clear. What is the evidence that he died on 10 Ocotber 1914?

In the absence of a death certificate, to convince CWGC/MoD, it will need to be something "official". His service papers. Ship's log confirming the burial. That sort of thing.

I doubt a reference to death on his medal index card or the rolls will, in themselves, be sufficient. Although they are obviously useful "extras".

John

John & Mark

John, thanks for checking the ODR (Findmypast bagged my credits without any warning - grrrrr!).

Leonard's great nephew has a family tree on Ancestry and it is from there that I secured the date of death.

I will send him an email alerting him to this discussion and invite him to contribute the evidence that he has gathered.

regards

Mel

Leonard Clarence Appleton

Year of Registration: 1890

Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar

District: Wantage

County: Berkshire, Oxfordshire

Volume: 2c

Page: 299 (click to see others on page)

Leonard C Appleton

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1889

Relation: Son

Father's Name: William

Mother's Name: Lucy

Where born: Blewbury, Berkshire, England

Civil Parish: Blewbury

Ecclesiastical parish: Blewbury St Michael

Town: Blewbury

County/Island: Berkshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

View Image

Registration district: Wantage

Sub registration district: Ilsley

ED, institution, or vessel: 15

Neighbors: View others on page

Household schedule number: 18

Household Members:

Name Age

Charley L Appleton 5 Births Mar 1897 Appleton Charles Wilfrid L Wantage 2c 321

Edgar J Appleton 16 Births Dec 1885 Appleton Edgar James Wantage 2c 312

Frederick L Appleton 8 Births Mar 1893 Appleton Frederick Louis Wantage 2c 312

Harry Appleton 3 Births Jun 1898 Appleton Harry Rupert N Wantage 2c 312

Leonard C Appleton 12 Births Mar 1890 Appleton Leonard Clarence Wantage 2c 299

Lucy Appleton 34

William Appleton 40

I think????

mel

GRO Marine Deaths 1914

Name: Appleton, Leonard

Vessel: Dongola

Page: 193

Is this him?

Adrian

EDIT:

This from http://www.warmemorial.org.uk/ww1.php?p=20

2nd Battalion [berkshire Regiment] had been stationed at Jhansi, India when war broke out and moved to Deolali on 4th September. Five days later they were on the move again, this time to Bombay, arriving on the 14th September. They then embarked on the troopship S.S. Dongola, sailing for England on 20th September.

The Battalion arrived at Liverpool on 22nd October 1914 and entrained for Winchester

Adrian

Top class work!

The Dongola was the name given to the convoy as a whole that consisted of 45 troop ships.

Well done!

Regards

Mel

Mel

The info from Adrian shoudl now be enough for you to apply for the death certificate. If you wish Terry Denham can submit it to CWGC on your behalf under the arrangements the GWF has with it.

John

Thanks John.

I am already in touch with Leonard's great nephew and if he doesn't already have a copy of the Death Certificate then I will order one.

Regards

Mel

Mel

Might just be worth dropping a PM to Terry - just to make sure that it's not a case CWGC already has in hand.

John

Utterly, utterly brilliant chaps.

I will see if I can get hold of whichever Great Nephew it is. If it's one that lives in the village then I shall kick myself.

Mark

Just seen he lives in Ravenshead. As this is 7 miles from where I originate then it is a spooky co-incidence that I now live in the village this branch of his family came from......

Just to update everyone.

Leonard's great nephew, Richard, has kindly provided a copy of the Death Certificate that i am in the process of sending to Terry for his work with the CWGC.

Leonard enlisted in the Royal Berks on 1st October 1908 and after training was sent to the 2nd Battalion that had been stationed in India since the end of 1905. According to a post by mac, Leonard was the bass drummer for the Battalion. He, unfortunately, contracted tuberculosis whilst in India from which he died at sea in transit to the UK on 10 October 1914. Leonard was buried at sea.

Leonard also had two brothers who were killed in the course of the war:

Name: APPLETON

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Berkshire Regiment

Unit Text: "E" Coy. 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 11/03/1915

Service No: 5925

Additional information: Son of William and Jane Appleton; husband of Louisa Jones Appleton, of Rhosfach, Blaenffos, Pembrokeshire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. C. 8.

Cemetery: GUARDS CEMETERY, WINDY CORNER, CUINCHY

Name: APPLETON, FREDERICK LOUIS

Initials: F L

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Berkshire Regiment

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 13/07/1916

Service No: 13100

Additional information: Son of William and Jane Appleton, of Nottingham Fee, Blewbury, Didcot, Berks.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. B. 4.

Cemetery: HEILLY STATION CEMETERY, MERICOURT-L'ABBE

Regards

Mel

Thanks Mel, this hopefully will result in a man being remembered which actually we have just done. I pass the house he grew up in very often

Regrdin his brother being in E compny what would E company signify? I osee ,b,c,d in the war diary

Mark

Regrdin his brother being in E compny what would E company signify? I osee ,b,c,d in the war diary

Mark

"E" Companies were usually a fifth company raised after the main battalion recruitment. Certainly with the Manchester Regiment, they allowed a "weeding out" of some men originally recruited but not sufficiently fit. By the time the battalion went overseas , they had amlgamated back down to A,B, C,D.

I imagine in this case, the company information will have been supplied by the family who presumably only knew this as his company.

John

Mark

Although I accept John's explanation for the existence of an E Company, in this instance I think that it is purely a computer transcription error on the part of the CWGC and that the unit details should read D Company.

D Company were deployed in the frontline assault trench that was badly hit by friendly fire during the intended wire cutting barrage. It is highly likely that George and the other fatality that occurred on the same day were victims of the friendly fire.

Regards

Mel

Again, thanks Mel.

I must say that this is turning into a very rewarding exercise for all concerned in Blewbury. Its also something of a time devouring monster, My clock shows 9 hours so far and the surface is not scratched.

Mark

• 2 years later...