Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Aircraft?

Desdichado

Bit of a daft question I suppose, but I recently saw an old episode of Rod Serling's "Twighlight Zone" called "Last Flight". In it, an RFC pilot (Kenneth Haigh) flies into the future and lands on an American airfield in 1950's France. The scout he is flying resembles a Nieuport 28 but I can't be sure. Can anyone tell me what it is? Hopefully, there are some other Rod Serling fans on here besides me who know.

Regards - Des

Hi Des, you'd be right in thinking that it was a Nieuport..

'The vintage 1918 Nieuport biplane was both owned and flown by Frank Gifford Tallman, and had previously appeared in many World War I motion pictures'

cheers, Jon

ps I'm a TZ fan too :D

Skindles = TZ :D

Steve.

***cough***yutbe***cough***

I wonder if it was the same kite used in Dawn Patrol in 1939? I think they had a Nieuport in the film.

Probably not the same one...

Most of the aerial footage comes from Warner Brothers original 1930 version of The Dawn Patrol.

The filmmakers needed several shots of the planes taking off and landing. They assembled a squadron of 17 vintage WW1 aircraft, most of them Nieuports. Flying them proved just as hazardous as in WW1. By the time filming ended, stunt flyers had crashed 15 of them.

One of the Nieuports used in the movie is now on display at the Army Aviation Museum at Fort Rucker Alabama.

Jon

Cheers Jon. Did the film makers also use vintage Fokker DVIIs? I seem to recall that was the plane flown by the Germans in the 1939 version. I've often wondered what happened to the replica aircraft built by Hollywood over the years. The triplane and Camel used in The Great Waldo Pepper sping to mind as do the Fokkers used in The Blue Max.

On my way through Frankfurt airport a few years ago, I saw a DVII hanging from the ceiling but I assumed that it was a replica. Does anyone know?