Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Third Battle of Gaza

ozgur

Gents,

I am looking for info on the Third Battle of Gaza. Mainly British OOB, troop dispositions and movements. Books, Articles or websites. Any hint you can give will be mostly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ozgur

A good book about the entire Palestine campaign is the Last Crusade by Anthony Bruce and you could also try the offical history.

In the area of Gaza in July 1917 the Turks had 46,000 rifles, 2,800 sabres, 200 guns and 250 machine guns. For the offensive an estimated 7 divisions and 3 mounted Divisions were needed. 2 new Divisions were sent to Palestine the 10th Division from Salonika and the 75th was created in Egypt. The attacking strengh of the British army in Palestine now consisted of the Desert Mounted Column, which consisted of the ANZAC and Mounted Divisions under General Chauvel. The XX Army Corps, under the Command of General Chetwode, consisting of the 10th, 52rd, 60th and 74th Divisions. The XXI Army Corps, which was led by General Bulfin, which included the 52nd, 54th and 74th Divisions.

Hope this helps,

From,

Thomas McCall

Thomas,

Thanks for the valuable information. It looks like Bruce's book is a must.

I have Turkish Official history on the campaign; it is very detailed on the Turkish side.

Does Osprey Books have any info or art on this battle?

Ozgur

Not that I know of, but I'm not sure. Sorry!

From,

Thomas McCall

I have Turkish Official history on the campaign; it is very detailed on the Turkish side.

Ozgur

This would be very helpful. Do you have access to Turkish Official Histories for Gallipoli, other battles in Palestine and for Mesopotamia?

Artillery OOB from Fardale's book:

DESERT MOUNTED CORPS

ANZAC Mounted Division

18th Brigade RHA (12 x 13 pdrs)

Australian Mounted Division

19th Brigade RHA (12 x 13 pdrs)

Yeomanry Mounted Division

20th Brigade RHA (12 x 13 pdrs)

7th Mounted Brigade

Essex Battery (4x13 pdrs)

Imperial Camel Corps Brigade

Hong Kong - Singapore Mountain Battery RGA (6 x 10 pdrs)

20th CORPS

53rd Welsh Division

265th, 266th and 267th Brigades RFA (36 x 18 pdrs and 8 x 4.5" howitzers)

60th London Division

301st, 302nd and 303rd Brigades RFA (36 x 18 pdrs and 8 x 4.5" howitzers)

74th Yeomanry Division

44th, 268th and 117th Brigades RFA (36 x 18 pdrs and 8 x 4.5" howitzers)

Corps Troops

96th Heavy Artillery Group

15th Heavy Battery (4 x 60 pdrs)

91st Heavy Battery (4 x 60 pdrs)

181st Heavy Battery (4 x 60 pdrs)

378th Siege Battery (4 x 8" howitzers)

383rd Siege Battery (4 x 8" howitzers)

440th Siege Battery (4 x 8" howitzers)

10th Irish Division

67th, 68th and 263rd Brigades RFA (36 x 18 pdrs and 8 x 4.5" howitzers)

21st CORPS

52nd Highland Division

261th, 262th and 264th Brigades RFA (36 x 18 pdrs and 4 x 4.5" howitzers)

54th East Anglian Division

270th, 271st and 272nd Brigades RFA (36 x 18 pdrs and 4 x 4.5" howitzers)

75th Yeomanry Division

37th, 172nd Brigades RFA and 1st South African FA Brigade (36 x 18 pdrs and 8 x 4.5" howitzers)

Corps Troops

97th Heavy Artillery Group

189th Heavy Battery (4 x 60 pdrs)

195th Heavy Battery (4 x 60 pdrs)

201st Siege Battery (4 x 6" howitzers)

205th Siege Battery (4 x 6" howitzers)

300th Siege Battery (4 x 6" howitzers)

380th Siege Battery (4 x 6" howitzers)

100th Heavy Artillery Group

10th Heavy Battery (4 x 60 pdrs)

43rd Siege Battery (4 x 6" gun)

379th Siege Battery (4 x 6" howitzers)

422nd Siege Battery (4 x 6" howitzers)

423rd Siege Battery (4 x 6" howitzers)

102nd Heavy Artillery Group

202nd Heavy Battery (4 x 60 pdrs)

292nd Siege Battery (4 x 6" howitzers)

420th Siege Battery (4 x 6" howitzers)

421st Siege Battery (4 x 6" howitzers)

424th Siege Battery (4 x 6" howitzers)

95th Heavy Artillery Group

134th Siege Battery (4 x 6" howitzers)

209th Siege Battery (4 x 6" howitzers)

304th Siege Battery (4 x 6" howitzers)

GHQ Troops

5th Corps Artillery Wing RFC (14th and 113th Squadrons RFC)

8th Mountain Brigade RGA

10th Mountain Battery (6 x 3.7in howitzers)

11th Mountain Battery (6 x 3.7in howitzers)

8th Mountain Brigade RGA

A Mountain Battery (6 x 2.75in howitzers)

B Mountain Battery (6 x 2.75in howitzers)

12th Mountain Battery (4 x 3.7in howitzers)

Naval gunfire support was provided by:

1 Cruiser: HMS Grafton

French ship: Requin

Monitors: HMS Raglan (14" gun); M15 (9.2" guns); and M29, M31, M32 (6" guns)

Destroyers: HMS Staunch and Comet; Abbalete, Voltigeux, Coutelas, Franconneau, Hache

River Gunboats: HMS Ladybird and Aphis

post-5-1076963847.jpg

On the British R flank, 60th and 74th Divisions from 20th Corps attacked west of Beersheba. The artillery barrage began at 0550hrs on 31st October, with the infantry attack following 2 hours later.

post-5-1076964397.jpg

At 0900 hours on 31st October, the Desert Mounted Corps swept around the right flank of Beersheba and then the attack on the town itself:

post-5-1076964598.jpg

The artillery bombardment of Gaza began on 27th October. The naval gunfire support was added on 29th October.

Late on 1st November, 156th Infantry Brigade attacked and captured Umbrella Hill. Then 156th and 161st/163rd Infantry Brigades (54th Division) attacked the Turkish front line west of El Arish Redoubt on the morning of 2nd November. 8 tanks of the Palestine Tank Detachment (Mk IVs) were in support. By 6th November, 20th Corps had progressed to the capture of Sheria.

post-5-1076965311.jpg

Robert,

You made me speechless with the information provided. Thanks so much. I will add those images in my archive. a very good starting point for me.

Yes I have access to Turkish Official History. Not at home but in the university library. and Yes it has detailed accounts on Palestine, Gallipoli and other fronts.

I am planning to purchase the whole series but it takes quite a money and a trip to capital.

Ozgur

My pleasure. What stimulated your interest in Third Gaza? Did you have a relative/s involved in the battle?

I think it is a commonly held misbelief that there are few or no Turkish records of World War I. However, I gather that the significant records were kept. The author who has done most to dispel this myth is Edward Erickson, who wrote (an expensive) book called 'Ordered to Die: A History of the Ottoman Army in the First World War.

How far do you live from the capital?

Robert

Robert,

I am a wargaming hobbiest and planning to design a ww1 battle that involves Turkish Army. Why Gaza Battles? because the software I utilize have an excellent Palestine map (company had released a 1967 campaign map years before).

Which book are those map scans from? is it possible to see the entire map? (or tile by tile as you sent)

Yes, lack of Turkish documantation myth was challanged by Erickson. I am too suprised by the price of the book since its Turkish edition is fairly cheap.

There is a huge literature on the Turkish ww1 campaigns (plus Russo-Turkish war, Greco-Turkish war, Balkan war) but all of them are in Turkish.

I live in Izmir (ancient Smyrna) 8 hours drive distance to Capital Ankara.

• 2 years later...

I have just come across this book, 'Through Palestine with the Twentieth Machine-Gun Squadron' (7th Mounted Brigade) reprinted and freely available on the internet, courtesy Project Gutenberg

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17109/17109-h/17109-h.htm

Hi Ozgur

I have a specific interest in the 5th Bedfords (162nd Brigade of the 54th Division) who attacked at the far left of the British line at Sheik Hasan / Hasan Garden area, and got carried away and also tried to assault Turtle Hill which had been giving the London Battalions of their Brigade a hard time.

The Brigade constituted the extreme left flank of the assault & the Bedfords punched their way the furthest east during the assault.

I have the Official Gaza battle maps if they woudl be of any use? I cannot attach to emails from this forum, so if you email me on steve@bedfordregiment.org.uk I will reply & attach what ever you need?

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a good reference book eg to 4th Essex? or do i have to rely on war diary?

• 1 year later...