Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How to find casualties from one ship

Guest Hill 60

I've never looked at the naval side of WWI, so excuse me if this question is a tad dumb!

How easy is it to find the names of all those men killed whilst serving on one RN ship in it's service during WWI?

Obviously as a first port of call (excuse the pun) when I want to find out how many casualties an Army battalion had I would use the SDGW CD.

So, is it a case of going through muster rolls/ ship's logs etc or is there an easier route?

Many thanks.

You could ask CWGC to produce a print out the the casualties from the ship's name on the date of sinking. That would be the easiest route but with a charge involved.

To ensure you get any names that died later of injuries, you could ask for the list without the date filter and go through it yourself.

Best to request without date filter as some may have died of wounds, for example many men buried at Hull died of wounds received at Jutland etc.

For each British warship lost in WW1 tehre was a Court of Enquiry and a list of survivors and those killed. In most instances these will be available at the PRO/Na but be equally aware to check telegrams etc as some of those missing presumed killed in the list may well turn up safe at a later date.

• 2 weeks later...

Cathy

CWGC is the Commonwealth War Graves Commission in Maidenhead.

They look after most of the 1.7 million Commonwealth war graves and memorial names from both world wars around the world. They also maintain lists of the casualties.

You can contact them on casualtyenq@cwgc.org

or see their website with the Debt of Honour Here