Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chunuk Bair

Mat McLachlan

Hi all,

I heard recently there is now a walking track to Chunuk Bair that roughly follows the NZ advance in August. Can anyone give me more info? Is it a good path or a bit of a goat track? What historic sites does it pass on the way?

Cheers,

Mat

Hi all,

I heard recently there is now a walking track to Chunuk Bair that roughly follows the NZ advance in August. Can anyone give me more info? Is it a good path or a bit of a goat track? What historic sites does it pass on the way?

Cheers,

Mat

Mat

The track that you asked about has been there for a couple of years and was put

in ,I believe by the NZ walkers Club.

I have viewed parts of the track by looking down from Chunuk Bair but have not

walked it myself , but have seen walkers on it.

If you contact Eric Goossens from "Gallipoli Houses", I am sure that he will be able

to give you the finer details

Peter

I've done the walk from the beach up to Chunuk Bair about eight times, but always by different routes so I could see and explore different areas. One of the most interesting is to climb Table Top and from there head up on to Rhododendron Ridge, but backtrack down the spur (towards the beach again) and there's a whole trench system up there - a couple of deep holes too so watch out - ending in 'Antill's Lookout' with a sheer drop on three sides. Retrace your steps back up onto the fire trail road and walk over The Apex and The Pimple on Rhododendron Ridge. The Farm is on your left and the chasm of the Sazli Beit Dere on your right, leading up to Battleship Hill. At the top of Rhododendron there's a small, steep climb and you're on Chunuk Bair.

Another interesting but more strenuous route was via Hill 60, along Cheshire Ridge (plenty of live bullets still up there), then down the valley and up the other side to The Farm. From there you can climb the goat-track laughingly referred to as the access track to The Farm back up to Chunuk Bair, or go straight up the side if you're feeling really energetic.