Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trenches in Gallipoli

nicko576

Could someone tell me if the Mule trench was in front of Krithia, One of the men i am researching was working on a new trench to connect with Mule trench when he was killed.

many thanks

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Nick

There were several mule trenches to the SW of Krithia. They developed as the campaign on the British left side advanced. The best known is probably Gurkha Mule trench, which ran out of the Zig Zag in Gully Ravine and over Gully Spur to Y Ravine and Gurkha Bluff on the extreme allied left. It supplied the rear of the 'J' trenches after the May and June 1915 battles. Good remains of its entrance/exit in the Gully and on the cliff edge can still be found. There were also a northern mule trench and an eastern one. On Fir Tree Spur, on the right of Gully Ravine, the maps show a mule trench running up to the Eski lines, roughly along the line of the present modern road.

If you can supply a date for when the man you are researching fell it might narrow down which mule trench he was close to.

Andy

Could someone tell me if the Mule trench was in front of Krithia, One of the men i am researching was working on a new trench to connect with Mule trench when he was killed.

many thanks

Nick

Thanks for your reply Andy

The extract from the war diary i was kindly given reads the Mule trench connecting with the Eski lines.

the date is the 25/7/15

many thanks

Nick

There was an "Eastern Mule Trench" that ran up from the Pink Farm area, through the Eski Lines, ending slightly west of Fir Tree Wood (to the right of Gully Ravine) ... this sounds like your trench.

See the attached VIII Army Map

regards, Steve C

post-1114-1213727252.jpg