Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What was the "Kings List"?

lelly

I was at the RAF museum Hendon today looking at some Casualty Cards for our schools RoH and many of them were stamped in red at the bottom "KINGS LIST". They could not tell me what that meant at Hendon, and said would I let them know if I found out, so - over to you guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lelly,

For most of the 1900's I think the term "Kings List" referred to all those companies, businesses etc. etc. which exhibited a positive attitude towards the W.D./M.O.D. there could be many benefits to those on the list, for example:-

The firm of Blogg's and Son encourage membership of the T.A. and also allow its workers to attend annual camp; its name is added to the Kings List. Thus when small works etc. are being contracted out, tenders by Blogg's and son are favourably viewed.

However I find it challenging trying to link my explanation with your example.

Barry

Thank you Barry, as you say that might be a diffent "King's List" . I have also been researching the Dead Man's Penny and it seems they were collecting names for a post war commemorative "something" before they decided on what form the commeration for the dead would talk. I think this list opened in 1916 but I cannot remember where I heard that. I am begining to think this might be the list we a are dealing with.

Lelly

This was mentioned on forum recently and ought to turn up if you do a search. I have a notion it was officers who had resigned their commission or something along those lines. Of course it is just as possible that I am completely confused.

Possibly they were recommended for inclusion in the "King's New Year List" of honours or the "King's Birthday List" of honours?

Can you provide some names? They can be searched in the London Times on-line archive.

Thank you Ken

I am talking about - 2nd Lt Laurence Frederick Raby, 2nd Lt John William Palmer, 2nd Lt Alec Mackenzie, Lt Harry Charles McCreary . All died between July and Dec 1918.

• 11 years later...

An old topic but I'm not sure an authoritative answer was arrived at -

I am scratching my head.as, whilst looking at/for another recent thread, I found two RAF Casualty Cards for two officers killed in France:

October 1918 - stamped "KING'S LIST" in red ink [missing, presumed dead - body not recovered]  http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/7000254208-orr-o.j.-osborne-john

Edit:  A Canadian, ex-CRFC 152219

He got the DSO awarded in 1 January 1919 London Gazette https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31098/supplement/96

and an earlier one -

August 1918 - stamped "KING'S LIST" in blue/black ink [body recovered and buried]   http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/7000254210-orr-r.s.s.-robert-seton-scott

Edit: ex-RN J52926

Couldn't find an award for him in the LG

a) What is this KING'S LIST? (or LISTS??)

b) Any significance in the colour of ink used?

Edited by Matlock1418
additions

Hi,

there seems to be at least one other thread with this question in this forum that asks this question, alas no answer.

So here it is: the so-called King’s List (a list of those sent standardised condolence messages from the King) in its version dealing with Officers, which was one of the principal lists supplied to D.G.R.E. to note officer casualties/next-of-kin.

https://warrecordsrevealed.com/graves-registration-commission-directorate-of-graves-registration-enquiries-i-w-g-c-record-glossary/

GreyC