Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench maps...

Chris Boonzaier

Hi,

this may seem like a silly questions to the map guys... but how did the Trench maps of different nations differ?

If one were to say

"Well, British trench maps are usually found to be......... the Germans on the other hand went about it in a different way....... if you compare that to the kind of maps the French produced then...... "

There must be some kinds of differences in the typical British/German or French trench map?

Thanks

Chris

Without going into the technicalities of the differing methods of survey and bases, etc, and "just on view", British trenchmaps tend to be the clearest and neatest, French trenchmaps are a little more "artistic" with heavier base drawings, but, trenchwise, are not dissimilar to the British, and German maps tend to be a little "heavy" on the eye as they can sometimes seem a little too "busy" and cluttered. All that is, of course, just generally speaking - there are beautifully clear and artistically perfect examples (as well as complete lemons) from all countries.

is that what you meant?

Dave

(PS. I've asked a few people as regards your email from the other day - just waiting on replies)

Not the best examples to illustrate my point, but these were to hand....British , French and German - same place, similar dates...

post-357-1212062816.jpg

post-357-1212062856.jpg

post-357-1212062893.jpg

Thanks,

it seems all three did maps the same way they cook ;-)

it seems all three did maps the same way they cook ;-)

:D I see your point.

I'm going to spend the rest of my life looking for a Mexican trench map now! :lol:

dave.