Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aubers Ridge 1915

n cherry

Hopefully tihs wn't come across as too stupid a question.....

In the BE book on Aubers Ridge page 159 is a picture of a damaged house taken in July 1915 with a sign on the 'gable' end saying Chocolat Menier Corner which is I guess why it was called this by the BEF but where does his name come from....was it some sort of advertisement?

Alan - you're spot on. There was an advert on the building at that corner.

A real case of a name that seemed perfectly logical back then appearing a bit strange now!

Thanks guys....if you look at the picture it was like other adverts I've seen but mainly in the UK for things like Shell and Pears soap....

• 3 months later...

Hello n cherry,

here is a little gift for you... "Chocolat Menier Corner" today.

Very friendly

Michel

post-10155-1220825326.jpg

And "Chocolat Menier Corner" in 1915...

The building was "un café", a kind of pub, called "café du ciseau d'or", at the cross road of "la rue du bois" and "la rue du pont Moreau".

LA rue du Pont Moreau was called "prince's road" by the british troops.

Michel

post-10155-1220825676.jpg

Niall,

I can but assume you were not listening some years ago when we were close by with Martin Middlebrook and you pulled out your OH maps in the rain and identified exactly where this spot was. We went on to discuss the name and the fact that it originated with the chocolate ads to be found all over france at the time.

Some ads were painted and some were the ubiquitous enamel signs.

Strange how these things stick in your mind.

I have a feeling that there is now an arts centre or something similar in the UK that also goes by the name of Chocolat Menier Factory.

Best Wishes,

Martin

Niall,

I can but assume you were not listening some years ago when we were close by with Martin Middlebrook and you pulled out your OH maps in the rain and identified exactly where this spot was. We went on to discuss the name and the fact that it originated with the chocolate ads to be found all over france at the time.

Some ads were painted and some were the ubiquitous enamel signs.

Strange how these things stick in your mind.

I have a feeling that there is now an arts centre or something similar in the UK that also goes by the name of Chocolat Menier Factory.

Best Wishes,

Martin

Martin,

I'll put money on you being right but I don't remember this at all......was I recovering at the time from one of my regular 'interviews without coffee' by the one who must be obeyed (MM)......???????

Trust you are well and has you good lady had any more luck with finding a 'general gay' on the internet yet??????

NC

Niall.

I was trying to be discreet about the events of the day. You may recall that Martin asked you what you saw at Suippes on the way to Verdun and you replied "Sooty". He was not amused.

Kate, bless her, has had more success since her first google on this topic.

Take care,

Martin

Niall.

I was trying to be discreet about the events of the day. You may recall that Martin asked you what you saw at Suippes on the way to Verdun and you replied "Sooty". He was not amused.

Kate, bless her, has had more success since her first google on this topic.

Take care,

Martin

Martin,

That story has gone down in legend I believe, but you'd have to have been there to aprreciate it.....I felt sorry for the bloke who's name I can't recall who 'rattled' a map soon afterwards and got even more of a tongue lashing than I did......