Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cunnison, Blairgowrie and Edinburgh

Isobel Bertha

I am doing research into the Cunnison family of Scotland. My grandfather, John Hume Cunnison, b. 1879, enlisted at the age of 16 in the 2nd Batt. KOSB. His brother, William Cunnison, was also in the army, though I don't know which regiment.

Did either of them fight in the Great War? Any information would be welcome.

Many thanks and best wishes.

hi isobel welcome to the forum ,

Name: John Cunnison

Regiment or Corps: Kings Own Scottish Borderers, Royal Engineers, Royal Defence Corps

Regimental number: 7842, 606170, 93114

theres a few listed for william cunnison if you want to pm me your mail addy I can send you the copies of the medal cards

regards Dave

Hi Isobel

Looking at the medal card index on the National Archives website, there were 14 men who possibly received medals. One of them is for a John Cunnison who initially served in the King's Own Scottish Borderers as Private 7842. He then served in the Royal Engineers as Private 606172 and then in the Royal Defence Corps as Private 93114. This could potentially be the relative you mention above. The card can either be downloaded from the National Archives website or perhaps even Ancestry.co.uk [although I haven't had time to check the latter].

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=14

The NA website also lists a few William Cunnisons:

William Cunnison, Quartermaster Sergeant 2 then Captain, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

William Cunnison, Private S/2165, 1st Royal Highlanders [1st Black Watch]

William Cunnisson, Private 19742 Royal Scots then Private 606169 Royal Engineers [note that this latter number is quite close to the John Cunnison mentioned above].

I noted also on the Scottish War Memorial website that there was a Thomas Cunnison, Private 2638 1st Black Watch who was killed in action on 11/11/1914. He was born in Edinburgh. Also the William Cunnison mentioned above as Private 3/2165 1st Black Watch, was killed in action 04/10/1914, he was born in Stirling.

Sorry I can't be more precise at the moment, but I hope this gives some information that leads to answer to your question.

Regards

LIT

Hi Isobel

Looking at the medal card index on the National Archives website, there were 14 men who possibly received medals. One of them is for a John Cunnison who initially served in the King's Own Scottish Borderers as Private 7842. He then served in the Royal Engineers as Private 606172 and then in the Royal Defence Corps as Private 93114. This could potentially be the relative you mention above. The card can either be downloaded from the National Archives website or perhaps even Ancestry.co.uk [although I haven't had time to check the latter].

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=14

The NA website also lists a few William Cunnisons:

William Cunnison, Quartermaster Sergeant 2 then Captain, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

William Cunnison, Private S/2165, 1st Royal Highlanders [1st Black Watch]

William Cunnisson, Private 19742 Royal Scots then Private 606169 Royal Engineers [note that this latter number is quite close to the John Cunnison mentioned above].

I noted also on the Scottish War Memorial website that there was a Thomas Cunnison, Private 2638 1st Black Watch who was killed in action on 11/11/1914. He was born in Edinburgh. Also the William Cunnison mentioned above as Private 3/2165 1st Black Watch, was killed in action 04/10/1914, he was born in Stirling.

Sorry I can't be more precise at the moment, but I hope this gives some information that leads to answer to your question.

Regards

LIT

Azureus and LIT!

Thanks for the information. This is a great website, isn't it? Regards, Isobel