Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 medals donated to Oxfam

sueburden

News from local paper in Leamington

WW1 medals and a photograph of Gerald Charles William Large, 2nd Lieutenant in Royal Warks 7th Battalion have been donated to an Oxfam shop in Leamington. He went to France in 1915 and was made adjutant two years later before being transferred to Royal Field Artillery in 1918.

Wonder if they were donated by a relative - surely not.

Sue

Donated by family? Quite possibly.

Possible scenario: the last owner has recently passed on and relatives of same, possibly not close, have done house clearance, maybe taken what items appeal to them and passed on what doesn't - but might be saleable - to charity. Happens every day. In this scenario, the relatives are probably totally unaware of who the medal recipient was and either hadn't the time, or weren't that interested, to find out more.

Sad, but a fact of life and death. Hopefully, as the medals and photo were donated together, Oxfam will be able to sell them all together to someone who is interested and will keep them together.

No :angry: from me, incidentally, for medal collectors. :)

Jim

The chances are they will put them on the Oxfam ebay site. Always worth checking them out.

Mick

I was at the Royal Warwicks Museum in Leamington when someone telephoned to advise them of this. From what I could understand, Oxfam had already offered them and the Museum thought they were well overpriced. They have plenty of sets anyway which have been donated by relatives, not sold.

local charity shop had 3 different groups of medals donated lastyear, allways worth looking

I was at the Royal Warwicks Museum in Leamington when someone telephoned to advise them of this. From what I could understand, Oxfam had already offered them and the Museum thought they were well overpriced. They have plenty of sets anyway which have been donated by relatives, not sold.

Thats ironic one charity trying to sell to another charity.

Mick