Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme 1st July 1916

Terry Carter

Just had and watched a DVD published by Pen & Sword. Somme 1st July 1916, An interactive tour of the northern Somme battlefield. It is written and narrated by Michael Stedman, with further input by Dr John Bourne and Professors Gary Sheffield and Peter Simkins. It works on DVD and PC. I know the area like the back of my hand and so there was nothing new for me. However, the quality of the photographs and the Official History maps are very good. This DVD covers Thiepval up to Gommecourt. Just thought i would let Forum members know that it is for sale.

Cheers

Terry

I did not know a review had been done. But, yes, The review Chris gave sums up the DVD very accurately.

Terry

Are there DVD's planned for the rest of the battlefield, in particular, La Boisselle/Contalmaison area?

Regards

Sean

I did not know a review had been done. But, yes, The review Chris gave sums up the DVD very accurately.

Terry

Don't hold your breath for any other DVDs. I had to contact Pen & Sword about another matter, I asked them about a DVD covering the Southern area ( I bought mine not realising it was only the Northern area !) and the lady I spoke to had 'no idea', a shout across her office was answered by 'nothing that I know of'

so there !

Mick

Don't hold your breath for any other DVDs. I had to contact Pen & Sword about another matter, I asked them about a DVD covering the Southern area ( I bought mine not realising it was only the Northern area !) and the lady I spoke to had 'no idea', a shout across her office was answered by 'nothing that I know of'

so there !

Mick

There is another DVD planned to cover the Southern area. It is due out in August/September this year and then more are planned. I'd suggest contacting Pen & Sword with ideas for areas you'd like to see covered as I know that a final decision has yet to be made but that they are pleased with the response to their first DVD and are keen to expand into other areas.