Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Middlesex Hospital, Clacton-on-Sea

Messina1915

I'm looking for any information about, or even better, pictures of, the Middlesex Hospital, Clacton-on-Sea.

One of my chaps died there on 14 April 1915 after being severely wounded at Neuve Chapelle.

Cheers,

Carole.

Hi Carol - there is a book advertised on - http://www.antiqbook.co.uk/boox/tur/31766.shtml that might be worth looking out for

BERKELEY, COMYNS & VICTOR BONNEY. The Annals of the Middlesex Hospital at Clacton On Sea, during the Great War, 1914-1919.

[London]: W J Clark & Co, No date (c1920). 127[1] pp, numerous photo plates & sketches, lists of staff, Roll of Honour, etc. Original navy cloth with paper reback and original spine laid down, gilt emblem to front board, text printed within red border, uncut. 23 cm x 17 cm. Cloth soiled with random marks, original spine discoloured with loss to tips, chipping to board edges & corners, lacks free endpapers, contents lightly age browned.

Offered for GBP 40.00 = appr. US$ 79.60 by: John Turton - Book number: 31766

According to Google books (Bonneys biography) - the two authors were over age gynecologists (who for some reason were not required by the army!!!) who ran the Clacton branch during the war. The whole of Chapter 5 "The Kaiser's War" seems to be there and makes a fascinating general read - as well as some specifics about the hospital

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=JFTnBS...;hl=en#PPA36,M1

There are a number of references in The Times online

This is a brief description from The Times, Thursday, Jul 02, 1896; pg. 12; Issue 34932; col D

post-16016-1211938396.jpg

Let me know if you want any more

Cheers

Sue

Hi Sue

Thanks very much for your help.

Unfortunately I can only get the first 4 pages of the chapter you mentioned, but it does give me a bit of background, which, if I could get a picture of the hospital, I could then put into the information I'm trying to put together on Arthur Wells and the other seven chaps on my church memorial.

I can't find a pic on Google Images - hopefully a pal from Essex might be able to find one.

Am off to alter the topic title to include Essex.

Cheers,

Carole.

How weird you can only get a few pages - I looked again this morning and 'sliding' down the pages got all but two that had a note saying I'd exceeded my views at that page - but on 'sliding' back up - they were all there

Maybe you could try for the book they wrote in a reference library as it says it has lots of photos - otherwise Sue Light might be able to help??

Cheers

Sue

Hi Sue

I'll have another try at Google Books this evening, see if I have better luck this time.

Cheers,

Carole.

Carole,

Just do a Google on <"Middlesex hospital", clacton> and you'll get a few hits. 547 to be exact. The numbers two and three (all I've checked) show views of the Hospital (one internal, the second aerial - the second is superb). You can save the pictures to your hard drive. Then play with them with your software such as Photo Editor.

In case you can't save these pictures, I've saved the external aerial shot to my computer and I can send it to you by PM. If needs be.

Postcards of this hospital come up all the time on e-bay. It's not necessary to buy the card to use the view for your own purposes.

I check e-bay every day for this sort of thing.

Noel

Thanks Noel

I've just got back from holiday but I'll give your suggestion a try when I get round to it.

Cheers,

Carole.

Carole.

Just in case the image has been removed before you "get round to it" (e-bay items are generally for sale only for a specified time), I have saved it to my hard drive. So you can always send me a PM, with your direct e-mail address, and I can send it to you that way.

Noel

Noel,

sent you a PM.

Cheers,

Carole.

PM sent.

Have saved the two pics to my hard drive.

Many thanks,

Carole.