Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grave photo requests

Messina1915

Hi Guys

I was wondering if anyone would be in the vicinity of either cemetery at some point and able to take a photograph for me.

Agny Military Cemetery is (according to my AutoRoute program) less than 3 miles from Arras. From this cemetery I'm hoping for a picture of the grave of Lance Corporal N. E. Brown. His grave reference is E. 35. He was from the 9th Bn West Yorkshire Regiment, but he was attached to 32nd Bde Light Trench Mortar Battery when he died, so I'm not sure which unit would be on the grave.

At Dantzig Alley British Cemetery, Mametz, I'm hoping for a picture of the grave of Serjeant Ernest Reynard, Royal Horse Artillery. His grave reference is I. B. 31.

If anybody could get either photo I would be extremely grateful.

Cheers,

Carole.

A pal has kindly agreed to take the photo of Serjeant Reynard's grave at Mametz when he gets the chance, so that just leaves L/Cpl Brown at Agny if anyone happens to be in the area at some point.

Cheers,

Carole.

Carole, I'll be at Arras and then headed south, in a fortnight's time. I'll be back in the UK early July but would expect to be at a wifi hotspot before that. Not sure where Agny is reference the Arras memorial, but if I can find it I'll gladly look for L/Cpl Brown.

emcee

If you do locate Agny, could you possible get a picture for me, please?|

Rfn Fred Finney, 1/5th South Lancashire Regiment, 16/07/1916, Grave Ref D13

(Excuse me for butting in, Carole)

Regards

Stephen Nulty

• 2 weeks later...

Carole, here is the headstone of Sgt E Reynard at Dantzig Alley. I have e-mailed other photos to you.

Regards.

John

post-28333-1213542194.jpg

John,

Many, many thanks for your efforts.

Much, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Carole.

Carole

I will be near Agny the weekend after next (it's on the way when I go shopping to Leroy Merlin, best do-it yourself place in the world!). If you still need the photo it would be my pleasure. Just PM me your email address.

Jim

John,

Many, many thanks for your efforts.

Much, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Carole.

Your very welcome Carole it was our pleasure.

Regards

John & Kathleen

Stephen

I can get your man as well of course. Should have it to send on or after 1st July (when unfortunately I have to be back in school, but at least back online)

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Carole

I have sent an email, please let me know if nothing arrives.

Stephen

I have a picture of Private Finney's grave if you want a copy. PM me your email please.

Jim

Jim

Photo received.

Many, many thanks for your efforts - it is much, much appreciated.

Interesting to see that my man is one of the few to have his christian names spelt out.

Cheers,

Carole.

You are very welcome Carole. I always like stopping off at Agny. The only grave that is usually visited is that of the poet Edward Thomas:

In Memoriam

The flowers left thick at nightfall in the wood

This Eastertide call into mind the men,

Now far from home, who, with their sweethearts, should

Have gathered them and will do never again.

Strange that he should write this at Easter 1915 when he was to die Easter 1917.

Jim

• 1 year later...

This is a long shot, but anyone going to AGNY Military cemetery possibly get me a photo of my great uncles grave?? Grave No: C.46 CPL Mathew Vance, 16th Battalion Royal Scots. service NO: 43225.

Thanks

Hi

I am off to Arras for Christmas and pass through Agny often when there. I will watch for a nice day :unsure: and take a photo. I'll let you know here when back (in the New Year) and you can PM an email address to me then.

Jim

Hi

I am off to Arras for Christmas and pass through Agny often when there. I will watch for a nice day :unsure: and take a photo. I'll let you know here when back (in the New Year) and you can PM an email address to me then.

Jim

jim

Many thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Back from France. Have the photo if you still need it - just need an email address as 100k is not as good as it could be. All a bit wet unfortunately - stone needs a clean up really.

post-28845-1262469353.jpg

Jim

Photo sent. Plus a bit more in case you find it useful.

Always a pleasure to help.

Jim