Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arras vist

Mick D

Could someone give me some a list of 'must visit' sites in the Arras area.

I know of the tunnels, the ww2 execution site and the Vimy ridge area , but would like to visit anywhere that has visible remains of WW1.

For instance, I have a book on the Hindenburg line which shows a pill box at Rouex in 1995, is it still there ?

Also, was it the formidable one within the chateau grounds near the chemical works ?

Mick

Hi

check out the 'Carrier Wellington' thread on the forum...recently opened and well-worth a visit

Have just visited Arras and was quite disappointed by the Wellington Quarry. Not a patch on the Vimy tunnels.

Follow 'Before Endeavours Fade' for a good tour.

Gunner Bailey

What was it that dissapointed you ?

Mick

What was it that dissapointed you ?

Mick

The guide wasn't very useful, and basically just knew a script. Historic details like original telephone cable fixtures were completely ignored by the guide. The videos shown in the tunnel were not that

informative, The majority of original signs painted on the walls were either arrows and the letters WC or the word Latrine. There is a mock up of a latrine down there too! The lighting is dark and moody and you miss lots of detail. For example there was a flight of steps leading to the surface, but you could see little of it. When I got home my flash photo showed a couple of abandoned Brodies that were just not visible to the naked eye. The wall drawings and some carvings are covered with a very fine mesh so they are difficult to see and almost impossible to photograph.

The best bit was the limited display in the waiting area where they show examples of French, British and German kit plus some New Zealand tunnelling gear.

Basically I think they have got it all wrong and it's a missed opportunity.

GB :(

Check out my recent thread on an identical subject here

Andy

Mick,

It would be worth getting a copy of Paul's book "Walking Arras" - I used this myself on a recent visit to the area and can reccomend it.

Alan

Thanks for the replies,

Alan,

I do have Paul Reeds book on Arras ( and others) but as I have limited time, I was trying to create a list of places to visit in a day or two.

Mick

also -

Paul,

I intend to use the inf from that site, thank you

Mick

also -

Gunner B,

Thanks for your info, despite it though I will be visiting the tunnels whan I get the chance, at least I will have a better idea of what to expect.

Mick