Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photographs of Original Graves at Gallipoli

fetubi

post-20883-1211807427.jpg

I've had the blog mentioned below up for a year or more but thought it would be good to have a link to it on the Great War Forum.

I was lucky enough to find a Gallipoli photograph album in Melbourne some years ago. It belonged to Lt Jack Duffy of the 8th Battalion AIF, who arrived at Anzac in April 1915 and left in the December evacuation. Its contents range across many subjects, including most locations, activities, people and events of the Australian occupation. However the most memorable images are the several dozen photos of graves of comrades which Duffy lovingly and respectfully recorded. They make it a very special album, as every one of those original graves has been gone now for over 90 years.

I've put every image of a grave onto my blog, along with a few other photos of interest. I include information about all 97 individuals able to be identified.

The photographs and other material can be found at:

http://originalgravesatgallipoli.blogspot.com/

You enter the blog at the Introduction, but the link "Page 42 The Names and the Photographs" on the right provides links to particular individuals. Or else you can just scroll about. All the images of graves are clickable for enlarged versions.

Trevor

Trevor,

Very many thanks for sharing your album with us

Having flicked through it once, I look forward to going back to it

probably again & again!

with best regards

Michael

Hi Trevor,

Again, thanks for posting the link, they are truly remarkable photographs. Are some of these included in the book Where Anzacs Sleep as Duffy rings a bell?

Hi,

Yes this is the same Lt Duffy - it came as bit of a shock to come across a recently published book of his photos - but what you see here on the blog are his album originals - the condition of which is often slightly better and clearer. Apparently he toured Oz with a lantern slideshow of his images - which as far as I can gather are where the book images come from. I would highly recommend the book Where Anzacs Sleep.

Regards,

Trevor

My many thanks also Trevor, some exceptional photographs of the graves as they originally stood.

An excellent Blog, you have done a wonderful job, congratulations.

If you should want further information on the deaths of the 8th Light Horse men, killed in action, 7th August, "The charge at the NEK, and buried at Ari Burnu Cemetery,

Troopers: -

Archibald Hubert MORETON No. 542. "C" Sqdn.

William "Scotty' TOSH No. 551. "B" Troop, "C" Sqdn.

Victor Eric BLAKENEY No. 338. "C" Sqdn.

James Alfred ANDERSON No. 235. L/Cpl. "B" Sqdn.

Thomas Alfred DUDDERIDGE No. 693. (2nd Reinforcements) "C" Sqdn.

Frank Leigh A'BECKETT No. 678 (1st Reinforcements No. 606) L/Cpl. "B" Sqdn.

Please let me know, more than happy to pass on what I have recorded.

Also have another photograph of their grave from my Grandfathers collection.

Jeff

Hello Trevor,

What a find, and thank you very much for sharing this album with us.

I was especially pleased to see the first grave of 2nd Lt. Charlton H Prockter, as one of the three 11th Battalion AIF officers in Shell Green. He is one of the old boys of Guildford Grammar School, and was recommended (with Lt. Franklyn) for extreme gallantry and devotion to duty for their part in the capture of "Turkish Despair" which became "Leane's Trench" (See Belford p139-14).

Cheers

Shirley

Thank you Jeff, and everyone else for your comments, with which I am delighted. Great to see the photos reaching a wider audience, which was certainly my original intention for the blog.

I'd be very happy to receive any material on the Light Horse men you mention below. I'll add all I can of it to the blog. I'd be keen to see your grandfather's photo and to hear a little of his own story.

Regards,

Trevor

My many thanks also Trevor, some exceptional photographs of the graves as they originally stood.

An excellent Blog, you have done a wonderful job, congratulations.

If you should want further information on the deaths of the 8th Light Horse men, killed in action, 7th August, "The charge at the NEK, and buried at Ari Burnu Cemetery,

Troopers: -

Archibald Hubert MORETON No. 542. "C" Sqdn.

William "Scotty' TOSH No. 551. "B" Troop, "C" Sqdn.

Victor Eric BLAKENEY No. 338. "C" Sqdn.

James Alfred ANDERSON No. 235. L/Cpl. "B" Sqdn.

Thomas Alfred DUDDERIDGE No. 693. (2nd Reinforcements) "C" Sqdn.

Frank Leigh A'BECKETT No. 678 (1st Reinforcements No. 606) L/Cpl. "B" Sqdn.

Please let me know, more than happy to pass on what I have recorded.

Also have another photograph of their grave from my Grandfathers collection.

Jeff

Thanks Trevor,

I shall contact you via the blog when I have put a few things together for you.

Jeff

As C.H. Prockter's great nephew it gives me great pleasure to see his grave here. I hope one day to be able to get over there to see it for myself.

Hear Hear Mark.

This is CH Prockter's original grave in Shell Green Cemetery from the blog, denoted by the small red dot -