Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Meritorious Service Medal

Sarah Hodnett

Has anyone out there got a copy of a book titled The Meritorious Service Medal by Ian McInnes. I think this book lists recipetents of this award. Is a Matthew Woods Pte 3rd(late 1st Bn) N Lancs R. Reg no. 11322 listed? Date of Gazette 18.10.16. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

woods

You probably have this.

Mick

woods

You probably have this.

Mick

Thanks Mick I do have that Mic but I don't know anything about the award.ps i also have another card of his with reg no T/448806.

Sarah

there`s a chap on the " british medal forum" ,paul is his name , he is the full bottle on the meritorious medal. good luck, mike.

The MSM will not have a citation,it {rather His details} will be listed in the London Gazette in a list of many other recipients,the promulgation may vary slightly depending on what it was awarded for

Woods MSM Promulgation October 1916

London Gazette "Header"~For Valuable Service During Present War...

Thank you for the link. I have found Matthew's name in the London Gazette.Now another question. On his MIC F284-112 is written under 'where decoration was earned'. Does anyone know where this would be?

One would assume France/Flanders if no other theatre given in the Gazette

Can we presume it would have been awarded as a member of the 1st Bn?

Mick

Can we presume it would have been awarded as a member of the 1st Bn?

Mick

sorry Mick- I don't know what you mean. I understand the F could mean France or Flanders but what do the numbers mean? F284-112.

sarah

...Can we presume it would have been awarded as a member of the 1st Bn?

Whilst it is dangerous to assume/presume too much as the MiC refers to Late 1st Bn,I would suggest it is fairly safe to say that the award was for service with the 1st Bn,& by the time of the "Gazetting" he was posted to the 3rd Reserve Bn,especially as he is a Private,Not that common to find MSMs to Pte,especially in Infantry Units he may have been an Officer's Servant/Batman/Groom,etc;or otherwise invovled in the Battalion HQ??

Thanks for the above reply. I will try to find out more about the battalion, but I am still no wiser as to knowing what F284-112 means even if F is for France or Flanders what do the numbers mean?

The "F"code looks to be a reference in "Biro" & probably refers to correspondence to the Army Medal Office concerning the MSM some time after the Medal was issued~each time an enquiry from a researcher or collector or Family member was made even decades later a reference was marked on the Cards to track the Correspondence @ a later date.

Thanks for that explanation.

I'm new to this research and have lots to learn about how to deciper and interpret all the info on a MIC, so all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

post-30223-1212184742.jpg

I am trying to attach a picture of another card I have for Matthew woods. You may not be able to see it!!! I haven't tried adding a picture before!

Again there are later references including the "F" one on the MSM Card,being repeated{suggesting a "X" reference between the two cards,the Medal Rolls also appear to have been referenced with "C454" {Star Roll Page}& "C64"{BWM & VM R.P.}

e Medal Rolls also appear to have been referenced with "C454" {Star Roll Page}& "C64"{BWM & VM R.P.}

Thank you again but as I am still new to this I find all these abbreviations very confusing what is a 'Star Roll Page ' ? does BWM mean British War Medal? and I have no idea what VM R. P. is! Could you reccomend a book or a website that would explain a lot of the abbreviations. Sorry to be so thick but this is all very new for me.

Sorry Sarah;

BWM is indeed British War Medal

[A}VM is {Allied} Victory Medal

R.P is Roll Page~these are the pages of the actual Medal Rolls that the references on the MiC refer to {The Refs usually following the Name of the Medal,eg:1914 Star:"H/2/2/168~L. North Lancs"

These are held @ the National Archive{often referred to as "NA" on here}but are not "online".

Stick with it you will soon become familiar with the commoner abbreviations used,apologies for forgetting that not everyone is conversant with them...;)

Thanks for the translations. I have also looked at the link on the long long trail about interpreting a Medal card so I just need lots of patience and time to study!

Sarah, just to add to Harry's excellent explainations and in case you were not aware, the T448806 number was for when he later transferred to The Army Service Corps. John

Army service corps -thanks cos I couldnt deciper that scrawl but now comes another question-how does that differ from what he was 'in' before. It really is like a dectective game..... solve one clue and then you come across another question!

Sarah, The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment was one of the many infantry regiments. The Army Service Corps were the guys who supplied the front line troops with all their needs. John

Thanks John, as well as researching Medals and regiments I can see I must now learn about different jobs in an army.