Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone help me identify this regimental badge ?

Andy091057

Dear All,

My grandfather, 960572 Edward Rose MM, was in the RFA and i have significant details of his service record.

I would now like to find out more about his brother Thomas (Tom) Rose but i have virtually nothing to start from except that he was born in 1898 and joined up in 1916. This photograph is all i have and to start with, can anybody identify his regiment from the cap badge?

Many thanks for your efforts

Andy Rose

post-27766-1211794803.jpg

My initial thoughts were that it was a Royal Engineers badge but it looks to have a straight edge at the base. I then thought that it might be the City of London Yeomanry. Now, I am really not sure. Can you provide a close up?

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunatley when i try and get a close up of the picture it is so grainy it becomes unusable but i attach what i can get.

The London connection is probably wellfounded as he was born in Wandsworth/Putney area.

Thanks

post-27766-1211808595.jpg

I'd been wondering about the badge for a while and when I was idling through Thomas Roses in MIC I came across what must be your man (who had been previously elsewhere in London - in the RF)

Medal card of Rose, Thomas D

Corps Regiment No Rank

County of London Yeomanry 41197 Private

Royal Fusiliers GS/100319 Private

Thanks Julian.

I have just found out from another source that Tom's middle name was Kimberley so we are looking for a T K Rose I guess.

Andy

I'd been wondering about the badge for a while and when I was idling through Thomas Roses in MIC I came across what must be your man (who had been previously elsewhere in London - in the RF)

Medal card of Rose, Thomas D

Corps Regiment No Rank

County of London Yeomanry 41197 Private

Royal Fusiliers GS/100319 Private

The Birth Registers show a Thomas Kimberley Rose born in Wandsworth in 1901, rather than 1898.

Name: Thomas Kimberley Rose

Year of Registration: 1901

Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar

District: Wandsworth

County: Greater London, London, Surrey

Volume: 1d

Page: 775

Steve.

Very interesting !! so he was under age by at least a year.

Thanks Steve.

The Birth Registers show a Thomas Kimberley Rose born in Wandsworth in 1901, rather than 1898.

Name: Thomas Kimberley Rose

Year of Registration: 1901

Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar

District: Wandsworth

County: Greater London, London, Surrey

Volume: 1d

Page: 775

EDIT: His service records are in the Pension Records on Ancestry "Thomas Kemberley Rose"- 17482 Scots Guards.

Steve.

His service records are in the Pension Records on Ancestry "Thomas Kemberley Rose"- 17482 Scots Guards. Son of James Rose of 55 Southfields Road, Wandsworth. Enlisted, 8-4-1918. Posted to 3rd Reserve battalion. Posted to 2nd Bn., 8-3-1919. Posted to 1st Bn., 4-4-1919. Class Z Reserve, 24-6-1919. Previously served with 25th London Regiment - January 1915 to 12th May 1916 (presumably discharged due to being caught out as under age). In the meantime he had been doing munitions work.

He seems to have served at Caterham. He didn't get overseas before the end of the war, mainly due to stomach/vomiting health problems.

Steve.

Thank you very much indeed Steve,

Looks like he was trying to join his older brothers at the front then !!

Fascinating story

Andy

His service records are in the Pension Records on Ancestry "Thomas Kemberley Rose"- 17482 Scots Guards. Son of James Rose of 55 Southfields Road, Wandsworth. Enlisted, 8-4-1918. Posted to 3rd Reserve battalion. Posted to 2nd Bn., 8-3-1919. Posted to 1st Bn., 4-4-1919. Class Z Reserve, 24-6-1919. Previously served with 25th London Regiment - January 1915 to 12th May 1916 (presumably discharged due to being caught out as under age). In the meantime he had been doing munitions work.

He seems to have served at Caterham. He didn't get overseas before the end of the war, mainly due to stomach/vomiting health problems.

Steve.