Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Parents Lost in WW1

PhilB

QUOTE (Phil_B @ May 25 2008, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
9 pm. People talk about the impact on their lives of losing parents in WW1.

For those who missed it, it's repeated at 03:00 BBC4 tomorrow (Monday) morning.

Andy

Had a quick look, switched off after 15 mins as I had the feeling I have already seen this. Must have been a pretty old programme, the sons & daughters should be well into their middle/late 90`s or 100+ by now. Really looking forward for somebody to make a decent documentary about the soldiers who came through and then lived their life to the best of their ability. Would make a nice change.

Anyway thanks for flagging it up.

Norman

I had the feeling I have already seen this. Must have been a pretty old programme

Norman - it certainly wasn't old. It was made last year by Testimony Films, a Bristol company.

Most people seem to have thought it was pretty decent. Personally I thought it a very moving programme.

Cheers

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy - I have had dealings with Testimony Films in the past and they do make some excellent documentaries. I have contacted them to confirm when this particular one was made. I do have a "thing" about the emphasis on the doom and gloom of WW1 and the apparent continual ignoring of the lives of the vast majority who did their duty and came home, some of course scarred for ever by the experience. It will be interesting to see if this year the 90th anniversary we will see the same focus on the horror and little or no coverage on events such as the Battle of Amiens which was a great success for the allies.

Regards

Norman

Norman, your comment made me smile - must be middle/late 90's. My father fought on Ypres and was injured on 1st July 1916 on the Somme. He was 59 when I was born in 1956 - I am now 52. But as you say anyone who 'lost' a father would of course be 90/100+.

Brian

Brian you are of course correct, when I took a party to the Somme in 2006 we had with us the SON of Lt Earl who fought with the "Sheffield Pals" at Serre on the 1st July. His Son, Joe Earl is in his early 60`s!. And before you ask his Father had him late in life!. Those chidren of the fallen in the film must be 90-100 years old and to me they did not look that, mind you it could be the effect of the NHS, social sevices, cheap booze etc.

Best Wishes

Norman