Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Bone DCM Hampshire Regt

Dudley

I have recently mounted a set of medals, including the DCM, for 14201 Pte (Lcpl) Edward Bone of the Hampshire Regiment. Can anyone out there advise me where I may find a copy of the citation which goes with the DCM (apparently earned 30 Sep 1918) His decendants are now resident in New Zealand and have never seen a copy of said citation.

Dudley

14201 Pte. (L/Cpl) E. Bone, 2nd Bn., Hampshire Regt. (East Liss). "For conspicuous gallantry during operations round Gheluwe on 30th September 1918. His platoon being held up, he worked forward & rushed a pill-box, capturing two machine-guns & 27 prisoners. Later, he remained behind with his company commander & provided covering fire until all their ammunition was expended, thus enabling the platoon to withdraw" (London Gazette 10.1.20)

Nick

Dudley

14201 Pte. (L/Cpl) E. Bone, 2nd Bn., Hampshire Regt. (East Liss). "For conspicuous gallantry during operations round Gheluwe on 30th September 1918. His platoon being held up, he worked forward & rushed a pill-box, capturing two machine-guns & 27 prisoners. Later, he remained behind with his company commander & provided covering fire until all their ammunition was expended, thus enabling the platoon to withdraw" (London Gazette 10.1.20)

Nick

Fantastic Nick Just what I was after. I am very new to the forum and am aware that it is a matter of giving and receiving and so far I have just been receiving. I am really grateful for this. Regards Dudley