Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Surgeon Davidson, MO Drake Battalion RNVR

Guest Diggycottage

Guest Diggycottage

Does anyone know the first name and rank of the MO of Drake Battalion? I understand he wrote a War Diary and would also like to know where this might be accessed. (The Imperial War Museum told me they do not hold anything by him). Thank you.

Surgeon David James Williamson RNVR was MO of Banbow Battalion RND at Antwerp and was appointed MO Drake Battalion after returning to UK (escaping the internment of most of Benbow Bn.). He spent most of the Gallipoli campaign with Drake Bn. until being invalided home in November 1915. He later served as MO in HMS KILDONAN CASTLE in her roles as both hospital ship and armed merchant cruiser. From October 1917 until August 1918 he was MO of RNAS Calshot and edited the station magazine "SPLASH". In October 1918 he was appointed as an MO to the battleship HMS TEMERAIRE and served with her in the Mediterranean and at Sevastopol. He was demobilized in February 1919.

Williamson's dairies, which were at the IWM (I understand), cover Antwerp, Gallipoli and HMS TEMERAIRE. If they are not there now they may have been on loan and have been retrieved by his family.

• 5 years later...
Guest grandfathermax

This is an old thread but I thought you may be interested to know that the family of Surgeon David James Williamson RNVR transcribed the diaries, I know this because I am lucky enough to have been given a copy by his grandson in 2001. I am sadly no longer in touch with the family but if you can track them down in Hampshire they may be willing to part with a copy. It is a fascinating read, a brilliant insight into the life and mind of someone living and working in the most tragic of circumstances.