Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wound stripe length?

dutchbarge

Hello, Can anyone please tell me the length of the WW1 wound stripe for an OSD tunic? I've heard and seen several conflicting bits of information. Thanks and cheers, Bill

AO 249/1916 intro 'distinction in dress for officers and soldiers who have been wounded'

'stripe in gold russia braid Number 1., 2 inches in length'.

Later, tailors supplied gilding metal versions, which have survived to this day, but they were never official as far as my research goes.

One for each OCCASION wounded, not for each wound.

Gassing counted as wounding.

I have had a very good look at the the RACD ledgers for the period, and the Department seem never to have caused a gilding metal version to be made ...... but there are a lot about!

The 4 badge sergeant has an MM as well.

Carton de Wiart had 7 I beleive. After losing his eye. He was wounded seven more times in the war, losing his left hand. Shot through the skull and ankle at the Battle of the Somme (counting as one wound), through the hip at Passchendaele, through the leg at Cambrai, and through the ear at Arras.

Mick

As the wound stripe has a distinctive chevron pattern upon the frontage, what way up should it worn?

Seph :excl:

As the GM version was, I believe, unofficial, you pays your money .....

There is no 'right way up' for russia braid.

Hi - here's the sleeve detail of a Norfolk Reg 1902 pattern SD tunic, with a wound stripe - here the chevron pattern points down, for what it's worth...

Peter

post-29053-1211754047.jpg

My examples

Russia braid type that came with other insigna from a WW1 tunic

backing plates that read first made made of steel, THE WOUNDED STRIPE prov No2 pat

THE WOUNDED STRIPE prov No4 pat

UNTARNISHABLE STRIPE CHEMICALLY TREATED AMBOURNE'S BIRMINHAM

post-6628-1211758899.jpg

Jonathan

Sorry to go a bit off the topic, but can anyone say when wound stripes stopped being worn. My grandfather ended the war as an other rank, and had two (maybe three) wound stripes. I have a picture of him in 1924, then an officer in the cadet force - he is wearing his war ribbons, but no wound stripes. Was there a point after they were no longer worn or was this because he was an officer?

David

Once again the Forum members come thru with flying colors! Thanks all for the great pictures and information. Cheers, Bill