Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge Raid April 1918

Terry Carter

I am after a book that explains the heroic actions during the Zebrugge Raid. Can any forum members let me know which they think is best. I have checked Amazon and there are several to choose from.

Thanks

Terry

I am after a book that explains the heroic actions during the Zebrugge Raid. Can any forum members let me know which they think is best. I have checked Amazon and there are several to choose from.

Thanks

Terry

Paul Kendall's recent volume by a mile.

I ploughed through most of the published accounts of Zeebrugge a few months ago researching a 10,000-word feature and only wish that had been published in time!

The best of the rest is probably Deborah Lake's book.

Paul Kendall's book is extremely impressive - quite the best book on the topic to have been published in my opinion.

Paul Kendall's book is the best, but it's worth reading Captain Carpenter VC's account for a version of events from a key participant (albeit one with a one-sided and self-congratulatory tone).

Paul Kendall's recent volume by a mile.

I ploughed through most of the published accounts of Zeebrugge a few months ago researching a 10,000-word feature and only wish that had been published in time!

The best of the rest is probably Deborah Lake's book.

I used this recently on a visit to Zeebrugge, not a 'good read' in fact rather an annoying book..............Bob Grundy

I used this recently on a visit to Zeebrugge, not a 'good read' in fact rather an annoying book..............Bob Grundy

Which one, Bob, and why ...?

Mr Siege Gunner,

It was Deborah Lake's book, and my visit to Zeebrugge was in 2004. I seem to recall that it had a lot of, errr.. difficult to express.... sort of

'thrilling prose'? A lot of drama of the action on a level with a red top newspaper report. It is I suppose the best I can describe it, it was four years ago

but the book did not impress me.

Cheers

Bob

I forgot to mention that there's a 10,000 word article 'wot I wrote', beginning here:

http://publishing.yudu.com/A70f1/navynewsm...esources/49.htm

I must admit I found it a fascinating subject to research and fairly typical of many British operations in WW1: sloppy planning, outstanding bravery.