Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kindly request help with trenchmap

Guest the devons

Guest the devons

I am currently researching the 15th Brigade AIF, April - June 1918, and will visit the Villers-Bretonneux area in a few days.

Is there anyone who can help with trenchmap 62 D SW, for roughly the above period? This would be of great help in extending my research in the field.

Any help, whatsoever, will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly this area is too far to the west of the general area that all my trench map cd's cover, I suspect any map found would be a rare one.....certainly not produced in the quantity of the ones for the 1916-17 areas of operations.

regards

Tom

I suspect any map found would be a rare one.....certainly not produced in the quantity of the ones for the 1916-17 areas of operations.

Rare(ish) in 1:10,000 scale (they were "local" productions), but less so in 1:20,000, though they are highly collectable (those that have survived).

I don't have a copy of a British trenchmap of the area myself, but I do have the area pretty well covered in French and German trenchmaps. If a scan from one of these would suffice, just say.

Dave.

Hi dave, yes with the rapid movement of the front in 1918, producing up to date trench maps would be extremely difficult, certainly it was a totally different ball game to what it was 2 years earlier.

regards

Tom

V-B was a slight oddity though, Tom, as the frontline in the area was relatively static for a few months, which was ample time for the survey battalions to get to work. That's why detailed trenchmaps (even in 1:10,000 scale) of the area do exist.

Dave

several 62`s including some local editions but most of mine are earlier

regards John