Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

for DCLI and badge fans

Muerrisch

DCLI group, looks as if just awarded LS & GC medal. c. 1930

Lovely picture. Sad that you don't see it now. LCpls are chucked out if they don't make full Corporal by the 9 year point. Apparently this is to avoid blockages in promotion throughput by dead wood and to save maximum term pension costs. Either way it has changed the sense of family that once existed.

I know this has been done before, but how many years' service has the lance jack put in to get 4 Good Conduct Badges?

And is Good Conduct badges the right phrase?

I know this has been done before, but how many years' service has the lance jack put in to get 4 Good Conduct Badges?

And is Good Conduct badges the right phrase?

Steven,

'Good conduct badges' ( the official term but in reality inverted chevrons and often referred to colloqially as good conduct 'stripes') were awarded for 2,5,12,18,23,and 28 years, so the lance jack must have served beyond his 18 year point.

There was a scheme of accelerated badges [by two years each] from the fourth badge on, so he might have been in only 16 years if totally clean in the 'detected crime' area.

There was a scheme of accelerated badges [by two years each] from the fourth badge on, so he might have been in only 16 years if totally clean in the 'detected crime' area.

I had considered that but decided against it as he would then be unlikely to be receiving his Good Conduct Medal or 'Rooti Gong' would he ?

I had a different scenario ..... LSGC Medal = 18 years, receives gong, poses, had 4 badges two years earlier!

Hardly got his knees brown then.

Thanks chaps.

I had a different scenario ..... LSGC Medal = 18 years, receives gong, poses, had 4 badges two years earlier!

Yes, I see that is feasible but on balance I think not, examining him closely he just seems that bit older based on the many old soldiers I have seen in uniform prior to the current policy of sweeping out so-called 'dead wood' being adopted. That said, I guess we will never know.