Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

223rd Aero Squadron

Guest westtours2

Guest westtours2

I have a list of ships that left from USA for overseas. How or where would I find the one that had 223rd Squadron on it??? I know that when it left Hempsted on August3, 1918 it was headed for Halifax to p/u some canadian aviators. Looking for Joe Rees

Thanks,

Cathy

Guest Jeff Floyd

Cathy,

The 223rd Aero Squadron (Service) would have gone through the Port of Embarkation, Hoboken. Unfortunately, I know of no unit history for the squadron, so that avenue is probably closed.

For Joe Rees, you might try the National Archives search site:

http://www.archives.gov/research_room/obta...cords.html#nprc

His records should be in the St. Louis Records Center, but WWI-era records were not well kept.

If you know anything about his home location, there are other possibilities as well.

It's a start.

Jeff Floyd

Hello Cathy, I used to live quite close to Hempstead and Camp Mills. My grandfather was stationed there in WWI as a 2nd Lieutenant. It was a wonderful location to fly, flat and free of obstacles.

Ralph

Guest westtours2

Thanks Jeff and Ralph,

You know, this has become an obsession of mine. I originally started researching this so that in the event i found his family, i could give this letter to them. If it was my g grandfather, i would like it. The sentiment in this letter to his mother is so wonderful. But since im drawing a blank, i feel he is part of my family now!!

I have sent a request to National Archives to see what i can find out. Although there was a fire there in 1972 maybe i will luck out. Anyways, I love history and this really brings it to life.

Thanks again for your help.

Cathy :)