Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2679 Private Edward McCourt

saintconor

Hi

I was wondering if any Forum member could assist me in my research into the above soldier. I believe he was from Derry and was a member of the 6th Battalion. A medal index card search shows 6 Edward Mc Courts and a pension search shows 3 Edward McCourts (50% chance of papers). Unfortunatly I do not have access.

Any assistance very much appreciated

Conor

Here is 2679 Edward McCourt's MIC:

post-6536-1211221062.jpg

Nothing on the back....

WO364 records are:

974 Edward McCourt, 4th West Riding Brigade RFA, of 26 Little Queen St., West Street, Leeds.

3/24127 Edward McCourt, Royal Irish Fusiliers, 58 Wellington St., Londonderry (No overseas service - misstatement of age. Enlisted 31-3-1916)

12403 Edward McCourt, 12th Royal Scots, Maryport, Carlisle, Cumbria (No overseas service).

Steve.

Thank you Steve. The Date of Entry would indicate 6th Battalion which was suspected. Thankyou very much.

Conor

• 5 years later...

Hi,

My name is McAleer, my mothers maiden name was McCourt and her father was Edward McCourt of 58 Wellington Street, he was the one discharged for giving the wrong age. He was 15 and when his dad found out he had him discharged. I believe the Edward you seek is related. Can I ask as to your interest in Edward, we are currently doing a family tree and any info you have would be helpful, do you know for instance why he was discharged, we have a McCourt dying in the Hospital for Incurable Diseases in Dublin in 1919. Any help would be appreciated, likewise if I have any info that can help you I will give it.

• 2 weeks later...

The Edward I have is,

Edward McCourt..........24127...............Royal Irish Fusiliers.

Enlisted.........21/3/1916.

Discharged....24/5/1916.

Papers state,

Having made a mistatement as to age on enlistment (to faded to read).

• 2 months later...
  • 9 years later...
On 19/05/2008 at 19:17, Stebie9173 said:

Here is 2679 Edward McCourt's MIC:

post-6536-1211221062.jpg

Nothing on the back....

WO364 records are:

974 Edward McCourt, 4th West Riding Brigade RFA, of 26 Little Queen St., West Street, Leeds.

3/24127 Edward McCourt, Royal Irish Fusiliers, 58 Wellington St., Londonderry (No overseas service - misstatement of age. Enlisted 31-3-1916)

12403 Edward McCourt, 12th Royal Scots, Maryport, Carlisle, Cumbria (No overseas service).

Steve.

974 Edward McCourt is my great Uncle. After the war he returned to Leeds. His brother Joseph McCourt also served in both wars. 
Uncle Eddie returned his BM as it was sent via the post!!!

They both led great lives and was loved by so many relatives.