Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Princess Margaret, Escape from Riga 1919

Guest spaner rash

There is a new book out shortly on Estonia and Latvia 1918-1920 Battle in the Baltic which might give you more information. 

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2010 at 21:36, docpopdotcom said:
spanner rash said:
Greetings to all.

My Great Uncle, John Steel, was a Royal Marine Light Infantryman during the Great War.

I inherited his parchments, medals, and some dog eared photos. Amongst this little lot was a white metal medallion. The inscription reads: In grateful rememberance from the passengers on their deliverance from the Bolsheviks. Riga-London, 3rd Jan 1919-17th Jan 1919.

I have found the details of the Princess Margaret, and that there is one of the same medallions in the National Maritime Museum's collection at http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/explore/o...cture=2#content Spink and Son lost their records for this time during the blitz in WW2, so that's a dead end. The Royal Marines Museum have no knowledge of these either.

So, my questions are: Does anyone else know about these medallions? Is there a way we can find how many were made, and to whom they were issued, and by whom? Surely there was a delay between the escapees landing in UK, and the medallions being struck, then presented to the crew of the Princess Margaret?

All help would be gratefully appreciated.

Spann Rash (mind yer fingers!)

Hi, Please tell me, did you know anything new? Can you take a picture of the medallion? Thank you! Maybe you have some information about this ship 's passenger list. Any surnames.

• Admin

Unfortunately , spanner rash is no longer a forum member as denoted by guest status. We will not hold any contact details for him.

Michelle 

• 4 years later...

Dear All,

My great-grand-parents and their children where passengers of the HMS Magaret when she left Rigas. My great-grand-mother told that Bolcheviks were shooting on the boat when he left. If anyone is interested by further details on these passengers, I will communicate them. By the way, someone knows who ordered the ship ?