Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fisher MM Northumberland Hussars

johnnie

I am trying to find out more information about a man who served with the Northumberland Hussars.

I have a box that has a plaque set in the lid stating:

Presented to

Sergt A W Fisher, MM

North's Hussars

by his RVI Colleagues

May 1919

I has serached the MIc and thing it might relate to Alfred Wilson Fisher who was

a Private in the Northumberland Fusiliers (No. 584), and then a Sgt in the Northumberland

Hussars (same number), as he is the only Sgt A W Fisher I can find who served in the Northumberland

Hussars.

It would seem that, if this is the correct man, he was in France from 5/10/14, however I have been

unable to track down any reference to his MM.

I am guessing the MM relates to a Military Medal (could it stand for anything else?).

Any help would be fantastic.

Jonathan

Jonathan

How about this man? Military Medal listed in LG#30768, 27 June 1918)

H/270087 Cpl. A. W. Fisher, Yeo. (Gateshead-on-Tyne).

Link to Gazette is Here

Steve

Just done a quick check on the LLT mothersite and 270087 is consistent with a Territorial renumbering in 1917 from the number block allocated to the Northumberland Yeomanry (270001 to 275000).

Steve

Also the numbering sequence is consistent - e.g.:

Northumberland Hussars 579 Principal

9th Northumberland Fusiliers 235699 Principal

2/1st Northumberland Hussars 270084 Principal

Northamptonshire Yeomanry 528211 Squadron Master Serjeant

Northumberland Hussars 582 Private

Corps of Hussars 270086 Trooper

Northumberland Yeomanry 528139 Trooper

Steve.

Thanks for the help with this. I thought I had found him on the 1901 census living in Gateshead, so that

would fit with the LG note of Gateshead.

Do you know why his MIC only has:

North'd Fus Pte 584

North'd Hrs Sgt 584

Shouldn't the MIC mention the Northumberland Yeomanry and his number 270087?

Does anybody have any background informtion on the location of the unit for the months

prior to his award? I would guess it was awarded for action during the March period so

could it have been related to the German advance?

Finally, are the war diaries for the Northumberland Hussars/Yeomanry held at the archive

at Alnwick Castle.

Jonathan

Do you know why his MIC only has:

North'd Fus Pte 584

North'd Hrs Sgt 584

Shouldn't the MIC mention the Northumberland Yeomanry and his number 270087?

Strictly speaking yes it should. I'd also be surprised if he was actually #584 in both units, I'm guessing the clerk had a bit of an off day with this one. It is, however, not uncommon to find MICs of Territorial Soldiers with one of their numbers missing, the Medal Roll itself 'should' be better annotated but again not 100% guaranteed.

Steve

The following is an extract from the regimental history:

Corporal Alfred Wilson Fisher won the Military Medal for the following deed: "The Corporal was in charge of a Hotchkiss gun-team on the Croizat Canal, between Jussy and Liez, from March 21. On the 22nd this N.C.O. stuck to his gun and kept it working in the most praiseworthy style, and, when his flanks were turned, remained with his gun, mowing down the enemy masses until his gun was knocked out. He then kept the remnants of his section together and fought a rearguard action with the nearest troops until they were withdrawn, and finally arrived in Noyon, having been in action for four days"

He is on the list of those wounded (p. 278) as Sergeant 270087

Peter

Thats fantastic. I don't suppose there is a photo of him anywhere in the book?

Was he wounded at the same time as the MM action, or at an earlier/later date?

Jonathan

Ok. Thank you very much for the information about the MM action.

One last question. I don't suppose there are any maps showing the front at the

time of the action?

I am going across later this year and would quite like to look at the area on

the ground.

Jonathan

• 2 years later...

I was greatly interested to read of Corporal Alfred Wilson Fisher winning his Military Medal when in charge of a Hotchkiss gun-team on the Crozat Canal, on 22nd March 1918. Cpl Fisher's gun was almost certainly one of a detachment of three which had been placed under command of my wife's grandfather, 270032 SSM Edger NIcholson, Northumberland Hussars. According to an informal report that he later sent to his CO, the unit to the detachment's right was initially Rifle Brigade, who were withdrawn at 10pm on the 22nd and replaced by A Sqn 5 Lancers, and the unit on the left were Scottish Rifles. On the 22nd one of the guns was blown up by German artillery fire and put out of action. The following day the Germans succeeded in crossing one of the bridges and a major break-through resulted. While moving between the two remaining guns to co-ordinate the order to retire which he had received from an officer of the infantry on his left. he was intercepted by a party of German infantry and wounded in the side while making his escape. For his part in the action he was awarded the DCM.

SSm Nicholson had originally enlisted in the DLI and was serving in India in 1899. On the outbreak of the Boer War his bn was sent to South Africa, where he remained for the duration serving the majority of his time with a mounted company.

I would greatly appreciate any tips to help in tracing his campaign histories in the two wars.

..... my wife's grandfather, 270032 SSM Edger NIcholson, Northumberland Hussars....

I would greatly appreciate any tips to help in tracing his campaign histories in the two wars.

I believe that I have a photo of your wife's grandfather (270032, SSM Nicholson, North'd Huss). I think you need to have 5 posts on this forum before you can use the PM system, so get a few more up and PM me.

I believe that I have a photo of your wife's grandfather (270032, SSM Nicholson, North'd Huss). I think you need to have 5 posts on this forum before you can use the PM system, so get a few more up and PM me.

Thanks for this. Willco.

• 6 years later...
Guest East Riding Yeoman

My Great Uncle SSM Frederick William Peacock 270016 got the DCM for commanding a Hotchkiss gun section for the same action and is mentioned in Peases history of the Northumberland Hussars. His citation had him as commanding B Sqn gun section.

• 1 year later...
On 17/05/2008 at 20:02, johnnie said:

I am trying to find out more information about a man who served with the Northumberland Hussars.

I have a box that has a plaque set in the lid stating:

Presented to

Sergt A W Fisher, MM

North's Hussars

by his RVI Colleagues

May 1919

I has serached the MIc and thing it might relate to Alfred Wilson Fisher who was

a Private in the Northumberland Fusiliers (No. 584), and then a Sgt in the Northumberland

Hussars (same number), as he is the only Sgt A W Fisher I can find who served in the Northumberland

Hussars.

It would seem that, if this is the correct man, he was in France from 5/10/14, however I have been

unable to track down any reference to his MM.

I am guessing the MM relates to a Military Medal (could it stand for anything else?).

Any help would be fantastic.

Jonathan

image.thumb.jpeg.5b8713243d05dbd83e2bcac2a94d47a9.jpegimage.jpeg.d72cb58b980415b646cf3d1b5507688b.jpegimage.jpeg.c6a64f2d005b63ae03611cd79ac327bd.jpegimage.jpeg.2039b597025a1aa6ea3e46d174d3ee4d.jpegimage.jpeg.24bad01ee246b9f2d135f935496065f2.jpegimage.jpeg.2209ad959166fcc51c6b858774a8cc94.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Just stumbled across this post with the additional comments.

NickyD - I think the Fisher you have found is a different Fisher to my chap. My Fisher won the MM while with the Northumberland Hussars in 1918, rather than with the 9th Battalion in 1917.

Interesting to hear about some of the other Northumberland Hussars stories coming out,

Have any members been to the new exhibition at the Discovery Museum in Newcastle?