Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Glasgow

Bucephalus

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have access to a listing of the officers and crew of HMS Glasgow (Town-class light cruiser), which saw action at Coronel and the Falklands in 1914? I am primarily interested in the officers and crew serving during those engagements (October - December, 1914). I have a fair amount of information about her Captain, John Luce, but not much else.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bucephalus

GLASGOW lost two crewmen at the Falklands:

BRIDGER, MAURICE J.E., A.B., J 7095 (Po), 27-Jan-15, DIED OF WOUNDS.

MARTELL, EDWIN H., STOKER P.O. (O.N.), 310682 (Po), 08-Dec-14 .

Best wishes

David

Does anyone have access to a listing of the officers and crew of HMS Glasgow (Town-class light cruiser), which saw action at Coronel and the Falklands in 1914? I am primarily interested in the officers and crew serving during those engagements (October - December, 1914). I have a fair amount of information about her Captain, John Luce, but not much else.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

As GLASGOW was near the end of a two-year commission, a 1914 Navy List should give you the officers.

Musters and crew lists for the Royal Navy of this period have not survived, with the exception of casualty lists.

Thanks to all for the insight (and to John for that excellent officer list). I did not know that this information was so difficult to come by nor that most of the records of this type have not survived.

Regards,

Bucephalus