Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Langemark - Frezenberg/St Julien

inishowen

I am currently putting together some guide notes on the 16th and 36th Divisions at the Battle of Langemark. I have used both Cyril Falls 'History of the 36th Ulster Division' and 'Terence Denmans 'Irelands Unknown Soldiers' as core references. Do any pals have any further reading or web-based suggestions that would add to our knowledge of 16th August 1917 and the involvement of these two divisions?

Also, does the location of the new Scottish Monument give a good view/panorama of the area in which these two divisions fought on 16th August?

Many thanks.

Fearghal.

The second 1917 volume of the Official History gives a detailed description and may help to place these battles in the wider context.

parochial but may be worth a scan

Many thanks Des. Some of my group in June will be from Co Antrim so your info is very relevant. Keep up the great work.

Fearghal.

Hello Fearghal,

I have some "Official History"- extracts for that period.

Pm your emailadress please.

Marnik

Can I suggest the book published by Tom Burke of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association last year. quote from their website www.greatwar.ie

"The 16th (Irish) and 36th (Ulster) Divisions at the Battle of Wijtschate - Messines Ridge, 7th June 1917".

This is a tour guide to this important battlefield and to the billet areas where the two Irish Divisions successfully fought together. It describes the battle in detail, based on the actual experiences of individual soldiers. It contains many coloured illustrations and detailed maps and is an invaluable aid for those visiting the area. It has 292 pages. The price is €20.00 plus postage. It is available at the National Museum bookshop at Collins Barracks Dublin, Schull books in Ballydehob in Co Cork or direct from the Association at rdfa@eircom.net

Tom has walked and cycled over the Ridge and the book is both a good read, and a guidebook.

Can I suggest the book published by Tom Burke of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association last year. quote from their website www.greatwar.ie

"The 16th (Irish) and 36th (Ulster) Divisions at the Battle of Wijtschate - Messines Ridge, 7th June 1917".

This is a tour guide to this important battlefield and to the billet areas where the two Irish Divisions successfully fought together. It describes the battle in detail, based on the actual experiences of individual soldiers. It contains many coloured illustrations and detailed maps and is an invaluable aid for those visiting the area. It has 292 pages. The price is €20.00 plus postage. It is available at the National Museum bookshop at Collins Barracks Dublin, Schull books in Ballydehob in Co Cork or direct from the Association at rdfa@eircom.net

Tom has walked and cycled over the Ridge and the book is both a good read, and a guidebook.

Thanks Arthur. Yes I have this and I agree its an excellent piece of work and I have brought it with me the last couple of times I was out.

Many thanks to Marnik for the extracts which I got yesterday.

Fearghal.

• 2 years later...

My distant 3rd cousin won the VC at Frezenberg 16th Aug 1917. He served in the R. Ir. Regt (Bristol).

Acting L/Cpl F.G. Room.

I am only just commencing research on this so thats about all I know so apart from his mention in the London Gazette thats all I know so far.