Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Henry Hodges (researching)

Private Henry Hodges

Hi, I am helping my father in his attempts to find any information that anyone has on his grandfather, Henry George Hodges. All we know so far is that he was a private in the 3rd battalion of the 16th Royal Warwickshire regiment, known as the 3rd Birmingham Pals, and we think he was wounded in action at some point in the war; that's about it, i'm afraid. Anyone who can offer information on him or something related to him, please get in touch either on here or through alistairhodges@aol.com and we will be most grateful, perhaps even get in touch sometime. Thanks,

-Alistair Hodges

Welcome to the forum Alistair,

Henry's MIC is available at the NA and will cost you £3.50 to download, however it's also available on Ancestry so if you're a member it's free, if not start a new thread and some kind soul on the forum who is a member may do a look-up for you.

Forum member Terry Carter has written an exceedingly good account on the Birmingham Pals Battalions, so I reckon he's yer man for answers,

cheers, Jon

Hi Jon, thanks for the info; sorry for being thick, but we don't know what you mean by MIC or NA, can you clarify please? thanks,

-Alistair

Sorry Alistair,

NA - National Archives

MIC - Medal Index Card

note that Sue has posted Henry's MIC above. the SWB (Silver War Badge) List shows that he was wounded, and it looks like his medals were returned,

cheers, Jon

Thanks a lot, any information is useful.

-alistair

Hi, have you any idea what actually happened to his medal or medals? even if the originals can't be found, replicas could be made or bought & perhaps worn on certain occasions when appropriate; in any case, the information on his war record is what we're really after here, in particular, when, where & how he was wounded, and what happened to him afterward. Thanks again, and please get back to me again.

-Alistair Hodges